no Windows Vista until 2007

octal 17:47 22 Apr 06

click here

I can hear the groans already. Its probably me being cynical yet again, but it could be looked on as a marketing ploy, the more the customer can't have it, the more the customer wants it, I suppose time will tell after all the hype.

Forum Editor 18:03 22 Apr 06

two technical releases of Vista I'm not at all surprised that Microsoft have decided to delay the launch. Don't get me wrong - the software runs very well on my test machine, and I think it's going to be a winner - eventually. There are many things yet to be finalised in terms of the final feature set however, and we're talking of a huge amount of code here. Microsoft's developers know only too well how they would be pilloried if they released something that wasn't as good as they could possibly make it.

Personally I'm pleased they've taken this decision, it means we can all relax a little, and get on with our computing lives, free of a summer of Vista-fever. Vista will come soon enough, and when it does it will be met with the usual mix of enthusiasm and scepticism. There'll be the detractors, and there'll be the early-adopters, who have to have the newest thing, regardless.

I know that Vista will be good, and I know that in time we'll all be using it - we'll have to wait a little longer than expected, that's all.

VoG II 22:13 22 Apr 06

I expect I'll follow my usual pattern and upgrade to Vista as soon as it is available - but I'm not desperate for an upgrade.

Just a question FE - would you plan to have a Vista room when it is released - as was done for XP SP2 for example?

A further thought is that a fair proportion of our regular contributors are still running W98 (amazing but true!) - by the time Vista ships most of us will have forgotten how that works!

Forum Editor 00:11 23 Apr 06

Yes, we'll have a dedicated area for Vista, I think. It seemed to work quite well when we did it for SP2.

octal 09:05 23 Apr 06

Personally I don't really care how long they delay it because I don't plan on using it, but I really hope they sort the security side of it out properly because if they don't they'll come in for a lot of criticism after the delays it's had and I think Windows users deserve to have a product that doesn't have the security worries that some of the products have had, so I hope the delay will reflect that and they have a winner.

My original comment was a bit tongue in cheek about the marketing ploy, however it does happen in some industries unfortunately.

Forum Editor 12:47 23 Apr 06

for every time someone told me (or wrote)before the launch of Windows XP "I have no plans to use Windows XP" I wouldn't be here now, I would be chilling on some tropical island beach.

Our helproom was inundated with posts about how people were going to boycott WinXP because of its activation requirement, or its reported lack of this, that or the other feature.

Time passes, and WinXP has shown itself to be the single most successful operating system ever in terms of userbase size.........and I fully expect precisely the same thing to happen with Vista. It might take a little longer, because Vista's hardware requirements will be fairly demanding, but it will happen.

SG Atlantis® 13:01 23 Apr 06

I plan to switch, although now I have to wait before buying a new machine.

I normally treat myself to a new PC at the end of the year. Have done for a few years now. Vista tied in nicely and now it's delayed...

Forum Editor 13:14 23 Apr 06

Wait until February next year - then take advantage of the Post-Chriistmas slump in sales. get your shiny new machine humming along nicely, and then sit back and wait for Vista to arrive.

Totally-braindead 13:21 23 Apr 06

You may be right FE in that people will say they won't buy it and then go and get it. But not me, I will almost certainly end up with Windows Vista on my PC but this will only happen when either I start experiencing problems with programs running on XP or when Vista offers me something that I really must have.

I stayed in Windows 98SE for perhaps 3-4 years after XP came out before making the move, and the move was partly inspired by the improved way it handled photographs and partly by almost all the hardware glitches and driver problems being sorted and partly by programs coming out that did not support Win98SE. I'm sure it will be the same with Vista. I will end up with Vista on my PC but it will be a couple of years yet. Lets face it, its not a must have and XP will be able to carry on for a long time yet.

powerless 19:38 23 Apr 06

And just remember you might pick it up cheap in the January Sales! ;-)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

LG G6 review: Hands-on with LG’s bold, big-screen shot at perfection

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…