No such thing as a 'free' lunch

Sethhaniel 14:33 09 Aug 06

just renewed my mobile phone contract - free phone upgrade and FREE three month insurance
of course there is no free insurance as you have to give your bank details up front (fonesure)and if you are unwilling and just ask for the free three months - they suggest you hang up.

Probably wouldn't honour a claim as they are unwilling to even honopur the FREE insurance ;(

Shortstop 14:38 09 Aug 06

Hi Sethhaniel,

A couple of months ago, I renewed my contract. Was offered the latest mobiles and explained that my current mobile does everything I need. I am simply not interested in phone cameras/MP3 players/etc.

Vodaphone then offered me the same contract but at half the price if I did not upgrade the phone as they cover the cost of a new phone in the monthly contract [total saving = £240 pa]

So, I agree - no such thing as a free lunch!!

BR

Paul

GANDALF <|:-)> 14:59 09 Aug 06

Most household insurance covers mobiles.

G

Al94 15:06 09 Aug 06

Most household insurances have an excess of at least £100!

Sethhaniel 15:10 09 Aug 06

and never taken the insurance option (and never needed them)
so quite a saving over the years as anything that has ever happened to my phone has been covered by the actual warranty of said phone.
and to the cover after the exclusions what is covered????
Exclusions
The Company shall not be liable for
1. theft of the Equipment from any Unattended vehicle unless all windows are closed all doors are securely locked all security devices are activated and the Equipment is concealed from view in a locked glove compartment locked boot or locked load area
2. theft of the Equipment from any premises or mode of transport unless involving forcible and violent entry or exit
3. theft of the Equipment from the person of the user unless involving force or the threat thereof
4. theft of the Equipment whilst left Unattended when it is away from Your home
5. repair or replacement arising as a result of negligent use wilful abuse or misuse
6. damage to the battery or aerial or any cosmetic damage
7. the cost of replacing or repairing accessories or costs arising from the use of accessories
8. the cost of routine inspection service adjustment or cleaning
9. damage caused during installation or removal
10. any amount recoverable under any guarantee warranty or other insurance
11. loss of the Equipment, loss of use or consequential loss of any kind
12. repairs carried out by persons not authorised by Us
13. the policy excess as detailed below
14. the cost of replacing any stored data including but not limited to tunes songs personalised ring tones or graphics
15. any damage or fault caused by any form of electronic virus ;)

packettracer 15:57 09 Aug 06

Mobile phone companies are their to make a profit, so yes there is no such thing as "free" insurance as you will be paying extra in another way!

oresome 16:46 09 Aug 06

"Probably wouldn't honour a claim as they are unwilling to even honopur the FREE insurance ;("

Of course they'll honour the free insurance and any legitimate claim.

You must simply follow the terms and conditions and terminate the insurance within the free period, before they start taking money off you.

A standard piece of marketing, even used by PCA.

Sethhaniel 08:16 10 Aug 06

once bitten twice shy - won't fall into that signing up with bank details three months before and then being unable to get in touch to cancel type con that I got stung with - maybe its their policy but I get to choose who and what i buy - and my policy is not to divulge bank details up front -
many more firms/companies/businesses willing to do business without those condition who will get my service if and when I decide ;)

Al94 12:03 10 Aug 06

Agree with Sethhaniel, I have had the same diffuculty in the past. A tip for Orange customers, don't buy the insurance, if you need it (phone lost, stolen damaged etc) you can "Join" their Orangecare insurance by paying £30 at the time of the incident and £5 per month for the rest of our contract.

As an afterthought - wonder of the insurance covers loss or theft of phone from luggage which you now have to check in when flying as you can't carry a phone on a plane!

Sethhaniel 12:44 10 Aug 06

The Goons - (1950's comedy with Spike Milligan, Harry Secombe, Peter Sellers and Micheal Bentine)

"Insurance - The White Mans Burden"

;)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 benchmarks: Antutu, Geekbench 4, GFXBench and PCMark results

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This stop-frame animation tells a moving story of domestic violence for Refuge

New iPad 2017 preview: Apple's affordable but underspecced new iPad may appeal to the education…