no oil??

keith-236134 19:13 26 Mar 06

Heard someone on TV say that fossil fuels will only last another 50 years. Bit worrying, how will we be able to use computers then?

rmcqua 19:27 26 Mar 06

Hydrogen based fuel cells, or some as yet uninvented electro-chemical technology. There are millions being spent on it at the present.

Bogbrain 19:34 26 Mar 06

If thats's true re- '50 years' who's used them all then? Us innit. And who was this person on tv, that is such a vauge observation, 'someone' on tv. If you really want to know the answer to these things persue it and find out from more informed sources otherwise it's easy to start scare mongering based on what 'someone on tv' said.
To me, 50 years is quite an underestimate, but there again, I'm only 'someone on a computer' saying that

ade.h 19:41 26 Mar 06

Part of the problem is the amount of wastage in oil wells. As you may know, it isn't sucked out, but the pressure of the well is utilised, so once a deposit is about 1/3rd to 1/2 empty - I think that's the right ballpark figure - it has to be left and another one sought. Pretty much all the large deposits have been discovered by modern geological techniques and small ones are uneconomical, given the cost of drilling.

keith-236134 19:42 26 Mar 06

oooooooooooh, ive had my hand smacked. It was the bloke on the BBC morning program, think his first name is Bill. Anyway, i heard years ago, that the South Pole is loaded with unmined minerals and oil, thats why we fought to get the Fauklands back.

Forum Editor 20:01 26 Mar 06

there's enough fossil fuel under the ground to last us a lot longer than 50 years. Oil may run out in that time frame (although it may be nearer 80 years before the wells finally run dry), but there's enough gas to last about 250 years (give or take a few decades), and the coal reserves will keep us fuelled for over 400 years if we want to use them.

The problem is in predicting the rate of rise in consumption. At the moment, all the world's oil wells produce around 30 billion barrels a year. If China gets to equal the car ownership rate of say, the USA, and there is no increase in supply, the Chinese nation will consume the equivalent of entire world's production - there simply will not be enough to go round.

Make no mistake about it, future international disputes and wars will be fought over oil rights, and smaller nations (like us) will feel the pinch in no uncertain terms.

This is a time for forging big, powerful alliances.

ezypcy 20:40 26 Mar 06

In 50 years time ,computers will be tiny and powered by the electricity from within the 'grey matter'.
To-morrow's World lives on.....lol

In China it will soon be using pig dung-ding.I think it does already.

ezypcy 20:42 26 Mar 06

FE, it is predicted that future wars will be fought over water.

hzhzhz 20:43 26 Mar 06

There is possibly loads of abiogenic oil.

keith-236134 20:49 26 Mar 06

Do you think we should nuke China before they get to many cars?

hzhzhz 21:01 26 Mar 06

Perhaps we could get this government to ban cars in china. They are good at banning things.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Framestore’s haunting post-WWII title sequence for new BBC series SS-GB

How to install MacOS Sierra on an older Mac: Get Sierra running on Macs & MacBooks from before 2009