No more XP for me

ex-wirecutter 13:50 15 May 08

I have finally got Ubuntu to do all I want on a computer, so its bye bye Microsoft for me.
It was not easy,some of the commands are weird , its like learning a new language . I understand this is why viruses are virtually non existent in Linux.
So off I surf , secure in the knowledge I am bullet proof.. or am I ? We'll see.

donki 13:59 15 May 08

Been using XP and only ever have i got a virus from my own stupidity, i.e. opening emails I shouldn't have.

Cymro. 16:07 15 May 08

Much like you I will stick with XP. My Avast has never actually found anything so I sometimes wonder if it even works, or are there actually as many viruses out there as we are led to believe?

Cymro. 16:08 15 May 08

For led read lead

ex-wirecutter 16:21 15 May 08

Thanks for your comments , it was having problems with SP3 that got me to try Ubuntu . I wonder who writes viruses anyway , and what pleasure they get out of their hard work ? It's not as if they see the results , unless it's a worldwide disaster virus.

donki 16:53 15 May 08

Id have to agree with you, like i said I have opened i think 2 emails and got a virus each time. But i shouldnt have opened them in the first place. Its the usual fear mongering media that loves to hype up virus's. Id say a large percentage of people that use file sharing programs and torrents are the ones that end up with a virus riddled PC.

ex-wirecutter
I havent downloaded SP3 yet, unless i have down it automatically. My XP runs like a dream and the thought of backing up all my media and game files actually makes me yawn! So no new operating system for me untill the new windows.... and i dont mean Vista.

Teaboy 17:57 17 May 08

Cymro---Actually led is correct.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…