No Election?

morddwyd 09:17 15 Jan 11

Ed Milliband says he could work with "courageous Lib Dems"

click here

It raised an interesting if hypothetical point in my mind.

If the Lid Dems crossed the floor and joined Labour, is there any constitutional or legal reason why they could not form a government, and if they did, would they get a full term, or just the rest of this one?

Sensible answers please, not just partisan vitriol or moral pontification, and please leave the bye=election result to a different thread!

carver 09:51 15 Jan 11

I do not know if they could form a government but if they did and could it would make a complete mockery of our whole system of government.

The Liberals would look like a bunch of losers prepared to run to who ever gave them the best deal, they do not have much credibility even now over the way they have reneged over promises made before the election and to change sides now would lose them even more support.

Apart from that just think of the cost involved with having to move Cameron out of Number 10.

Quickbeam 10:14 15 Jan 11

They've all made their beds and will have to lie in them until they can dare think that they can win another election on their own. We're all in it together y'kna...

OTT_B 10:19 15 Jan 11

I would have thought that they would need the support of the Queen to do this. I think she may be needed to dissolve an existing government and accept the resignation of the Prime Minister.
I also seem to recall that she is needed to accept a new government and Prime Minister as well.

john 52 10:21 15 Jan 11

If the Lid Dems crossed the floor and joined Labour, is there any constitutional or legal reason why they could not form a government, and if they did, would they get a full term, or just the rest of this one?

Its a case if the government do not have enough votes in parliament to get through there policies they would have to dissolve parliament and call a general election as the position to govern the country would be untenable

I do not think legal or constitutional reasons would enter into it

johndrew 10:23 15 Jan 11

The Conservatives have formed the Government in coalition with the Lib Dems so presumably such an act would prevent the Government from functioning and Cameron would need to dissolve Parliament causing a General Election.

As Quickbeam suggests, whether this would enable an outright win by any party is an unknown. What is certain is that taxes will still be needed to pay the bills generated over the past years so it is likely all that would happen is that another bill (for the election) would be generated.

Mr Mistoffelees 10:38 15 Jan 11

"The Liberals would look like a bunch of losers prepared to run to who ever gave them the best deal"

They already do.

jakimo 11:38 15 Jan 11

"Sensible answers please, not just partisan vitriol or moral pontification, and please leave the bye=election result to a different thread!"

Do we have a new self imposed FE ?,or is it just morddwyd getting above himself

peter99co 11:50 15 Jan 11

There have been a few wars where groups have changed sides but have not survived the conflict.

john bunyan 12:01 15 Jan 11

If You look at the numbers of Mp's by party
click here
you will see that the Tories have 305, the Labour 254 and the Lib Dems 57. Therefore the Tory / Lib Dem total is 361 and the 8 Unionists make 369. If the Libs joined Labour the seats would be 311 out of the 650 total - so they would be outvoted - depending how the small other parties voted (Scots Nats etc) Therefore even if the event happened and Cameron did not call an election, one would soon follow.

morddwyd 12:20 15 Jan 11

"Do we have a new self imposed FE ?,or is it just morddwyd getting above himself"

No, I'm not getting above myself, I was`just trying to get some serious answers to a serious enquiry, rather than the

"The Liberals would look like a bunch of losers"

sort of response abd counter response!

My understanding of the constitution, admittedly unwritten, is that the Queen sends for someone who can form a government.

If Cameron can no longer do that, and Milliband can, can she just send for him, as might have happened last Nay if the Lib Dems had gone the other way?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Prehistoric Britain is laid out in these Royal Mail stamp illustrations

Best running headphones | Best sport & fitness headphones: 4 brilliant pairs of wireless…