No Diagnostic Tests and no Cures

Pesala 21:04 01 Apr 07

“Psychiatrists openly admitting at the 2006 APA convention that they have no scientific tests to prove mental illness and have no cures for these unproven mental illnesses.”

click here

So what exactly is mental illness?

Totally-braindead 21:10 01 Apr 07

If you're rich and do stupid things you're a character or are refered to as being eccentric.

If you're poor you are mentally ill or are refered to as a nutter.

I know, I'm poor and I am that nutter.

Bingalau 21:35 01 Apr 07

I also know I am a nutter, so there really is no need for a scientific test anyway.

Woolwell 21:43 01 Apr 07

If you are wise enough to know that you are a nutter then how can you be a nutter?

Seriously one shouldn't make light of mental illness. I had a relative who we thought was difficult and odd and only many years (decades) later was he diagnosed as mentally ill and it was treated. If only it had been diagnosed many years before.

In my opinion one of the biggest failings in this country is how we look after the mentally ill. Care in the community just doesn't work most of the time.

spuds 22:34 01 Apr 07

I do not know how true this saying is, but I could perhaps guess its very near:

"There is an air breadth between an idiot and a genius".

Forum Editor 23:52 01 Apr 07

says it is a condition characterised by impairment of an individual's normal cognitive, emotional, or behavioural functioning.

Which means that a large proportion of the nation's population is mentally ill every Friday and Saturday night.

I had a friend who started behaving irrationally, and was subsequently diagnosed as suffering from bipolar disorder - otherwise known as manic depression. He left his wife and children to go an live with a woman he met on a business trip, subsequently married her, and shortly left her, too. He used to phone me late at night to tell me he had been drinking with the SAS in a pub in the Brecon beacons, and that they had told him there would shortly be a major military coup in this country. He rang at least twice a week to 'update' me on this, and it was quite clear there was something badly wrong with him. Mental illness? I don't know, but it ruined this man's life. He had previously been a senior partner in an extremely successful legislative consulting business. All that has gone, and he now lives somewhere in Southern England, and stacks shelves in a supermarket. I haven't heard from him in two years.

I imagine that lots of people suffer these conditions, or something similar, and are diagnosed as being mentally ill. Other people are very seriously disturbed, and are a danger to themselves or to others. These people are clearly very ill, and need treatment - usually involving chemicals of one kind or another. In the worst cases people have to be specially cared for in residential homes or hospitals.

I doubt that there's a single, verifiable test for mental illness, each case is different. My wife works in this field, and she says she's dealing with a personality disorder 99% of the time, rather than what most of us would call an illness. Each patient brings a distinct, separate collection of problems, even though symptoms may fall into recognisable categories. Treating such people is part art, part science, and involves far more than just prescribing drugs. That's where the CCHR has it right - huge quantities of drugs are prescribed to treat people who really aren't ill in the real sense; what they need is an environment that tolerates mild irrationality, and in today's world that doesn't happen.

Jak_1 00:23 02 Apr 07

Mental illness is very real and little understood by the doctors let alone the general public. It is distressing and very difficult for smeone to live with someone who has a mental disorder. There is still a lot of stigma attached to it and that will take a lot of time to change.
It is not a subject to make light of but is also one not easy to understand when confronted by it. It can be very intimidating to be close by someone who is suffering. There are no easy cures and for some (most) no cures as yet. Symptoms vary enormously from the lethargic symptoms of clinical depression to the schitzophephrenic.

Pesala 09:05 02 Apr 07

"CCHR was founded in 1969 by the Church of Scientology" I really don't think anything more needs to be said.

That would be a good reason to question the motives of the CCHR, but not adequate reason to dismiss the claims of the anti-psychology movement.

I know from my experience that most mental disorders are caused by or related to the use of alcohol and other drugs. Treatment of these mental disorders with prescription drugs such as prozac makes matters worse. The root causes why people take drink and drugs in the first place need to be addressed.

GANDALF <|:-)> 09:12 02 Apr 07

'I know from my experience that most mental disorders are caused by or related to the use of alcohol and other drugs'...there are many other reasons for mental imbalance and there is the argument that drink and drugs exacerbate an underlying condition but do not actually always cause it.

G

Bingalau 09:25 02 Apr 07

FE. I find that story about your friend very sad. Let's hope he may one day suddenly "snap out" of it.

MichelleC 10:23 02 Apr 07

Unfortunately psychiatry and psychology are not exact sciences.

I didn't know psychiatrists have no biological testing methods, as I thought they used brain scans to determine chemical unbalances in the brain.

The only way you can find out someone's ill health is by assessing their behaviour, how they react to stressand relationships and their thought processes.

Psychiatry has a long history of treating people with mental illnesses in an inhumane and often degrading way. My uncle spent most of his life (60 years) at Shenley mental hospital. In those days (40's) anyone who was a bit difficult was given a lobotomy, basically turning them into a zombie. Severe depression is still often treated by ECT, where the person is given electric shock treatment.

Usually mental illness is caused by a trauma of some kind, whether emotional, physical or chemical.

Schizophrenia is the most common form of illness. The person hears 'voices' and can also be delusional and paranoidal.

The latest anti-psychotic drug olanzapine gives the least amount of 'side effects'. The older type of anti-psychotic drugs would cause the person to twitch or to have involuntary facial or body movements.

There is a difference between mental illness and personality disorders, and a proper assessment could determine which problem exists.

Scientology has always been anti psychiatry, probably their only positive quality.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…