Night Owls!

jack 09:45 03 Jan 06

This morning the world returns to normal - most folk have to crawl back to earning a living -except me and not a few others on this forum I guess because all that is long behind us - life as all play now -well nearly- her down stairs will be making noises about vacuumimg- dismantling xmas tree -etc., soon.
However as looked at the latest posts in the various forum, I was struck by the seeming large number made during the wee small hours- and I wondered is it now because we are truly international?
If so what time is displayed - is it the postee's local time, GNT, our time, time arriving on server,
Simple curiosity that is all

spuds 10:14 03 Jan 06

I too noticed some time differences of forum users over the Christmas period.

Possibly forum people holidaying on the beach in Australia. Getting up to put that extra large turkey in the oven.Just returned home from that party.Had an argument with the partner. The list can go on.

I remember the days of 'The Lounge', when a number of members (including China!) had discussion's in the wee small hours. I recall one member stating that he had just seen or was observing a magnificent majestic stag from his home location. That conversation broke down the loneliness of those early hours and cold mornings.

pauldonovan 10:40 03 Jan 06

..as the subject title suggests, that some people like to stay up late on their PC, maybe they start work late or don't need much sleep.

Mind you, I prefer the image of someone posting responses wirelessly from a beach in Oz!

wee eddie 10:44 03 Jan 06

If I am Curling on the late session, which finishes at 11.45, I am not home till a while later and am still so hyper that it takes me a couple of hours to settle.

The Forum is ideal for that.

Gently exercise the mind and relax it at the same time.

bobbybowls 10:51 03 Jan 06

My posting times can be anytime during the day or night depending on my shifts.

flaming 13:38 03 Jan 06

I have always ben a 'night owl' but even more so now I am retired from work. I often don't mean to surf the night away but an hour or so goes nowhere, does it? I suddenly find that it's getting light outside! Things like discovering this website with its Forums are best done at night away from the day-to-day tasks which need sorting, retired or not.

flaming 13:48 03 Jan 06

P.S. How I wish this magic net stuff had been invented when I was working, as I have always had a typing element to my jobs (I started work using manual typewriters). On the other hand, my 'night owl' surfing could have made me like the character in 'Jeb's Jobs'!

spuds 14:09 03 Jan 06

flaming--Manual typewriters, like the old Imperials never broke down or ran on suspect software :o)

Forum Editor 15:47 03 Jan 06

who live in different time zones - Australia, China, South Africa, North America, etc., and they'll often appear in the forum when most European members are in bed.

My own nocturnal habits are due to the fact that a fair slice of my business is connected with clients in South-East Asia and Australia, and I remotely access their servers during our day. Late at night, or in the early hours of our morning they start arriving in their offices, and we can work collaboratively online for a while. It's a strange life, but I've become used to the hours over the years.

Taran 16:04 03 Jan 06

I often post in the wee small hours, due partially to similar reasons Forum Editor quotes.

I operate a rota with two of my staff.

I alternate by working one week of 'lates' followed by one week of normal office hours.

Two of my staff split the opposite week of lates between them - they both have young families so I leave it up the them to sort out who does two and who does three lates when it's their week. Over the month it all balances out.

I've noticed that my weeks of 'normal' office hours tend to result in my turning in at a similar time to when I work my week of lates.

Remote support, training and whatnot has to be done as and when required or during suitable times that may be based on other reasons (necessity, out of client office hours to reduce impact on their day to day operation and so on).

I sometimes post to the forums when I'm overseas and this results in very unusual hours over here. When I do this I always post from a computer on my own network by accessing it remotely from where ever I happen to be in the world.

I'd imagine there are lots of reasons why people post but as long as they continue to do so it can only be to the benefit of this site, although I'm sure I'm not alone in hoping that the stay-up-late crowd are not doing so at any personal cost

T.

Chegs ®™ 18:11 03 Jan 06

I frequently start my PC rectifications after the rest of the household has gone to bed as I can then potter away undisturbed. This unfortunately often means I'm still at it at 9:00am next day. I have become accustomed to short naps and try to catch-up my sleep at weekends.Besides which,my ADSL runs fastest thru-night. ;-))

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 benchmarks: Antutu, Geekbench 4, GFXBench and PCMark results

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This animated short film tells a moving story of domestic violence for Refuge

New iPad 2017 preview: Apple's affordable but underspecced new iPad may appeal to the education…