Nigerians bid for Newcastle

canarieslover 18:17 29 Sep 08

click here

We will send you a cheque for £20,000,000. Please deposit our change into ****** bank account. Or is it for real?

Forum Editor 18:26 29 Sep 08

it's for real. At least, the BBC has had it confirmed.

al's left peg 20:12 29 Sep 08

Ashley had better hope he sells it soon, if they go down (the team) he will be lucky to get back what he paid for it not the expected profit he is looking for.

interzone55 20:45 29 Sep 08

Like canarieslover and many others, I'm sure this is a 419 scam.

We have $400,000,000 that we need to move out of the country, please send title deeds to football club and we will deposit money in your bank.

The US federal reserve is trying to pull a similar trick...

Si_L 22:00 29 Sep 08

It does seem odd that a Nigerian consortium wants to take over, but if it had even the slightest hint of a 'scam' do you really think Newcastle would even look twice at the offer?

Joe R 23:07 29 Sep 08

According to Sky sports, a £350 Million deal has been agreed between a Nigerian consortium, and Mr Ashley.

Si_L 23:12 29 Sep 08

You should be thanking Ashley, he has paid off a huge amount of the club debts and will be making a loss when he sells the club.

al's left peg 20:46 30 Sep 08

Si_L, Why should I be thanking Ashley? The club is in a far worse position than when he took over. They are still massively in debt, though not to the tune of Man U, Liverpool, Everton and a few others. The upshot is though that they have far better squads than us by a long way.
Ashley put the whole of the first team squad up for sale on the last day of the transfer window, a fact that has not really been given the coverage by Jim White whilst he seems to permanantly stand outside the ground surrounded by the "mongs" who claim to be supporters. Selling Milner for £12million (a good deal in some eyes) but replacing him with a Spanish loan signing from the Spanish 2nd division is not going to bring silverware or stability. Again I would make the point, who knows more about football, Keegan or Wise?

Si_L 22:13 30 Sep 08

Sorry mate, I should have checked my sources before I said "he has paid off a huge amount of the club debts and will be making a loss when he sells the club." It turns out that even at the cut price he is now reportedly offering he stands to make about £50 million.

Selling Milner for £12 million was a good transfer. Sorry but I can't figure out the guy who you are on about when you said "a Spanish loan signing from the Spanish 2nd division", are you talking about Xisco?

Bottom line is, of all the teams for Ashley to meddle with, he couldn't have picked a worse one, Newcastle fans are ferocious. To be honest though, I have never really liked Newcastle. I don't like their style of football and they have a few to many dirty players, admittedly they have improved on this in recent years. I would be happy to see them drop into the Championship and see a team like Wolves have another crack at the Premiership.

Bingalau 22:58 30 Sep 08

This is the first time I have heard of Everton being in debt. Can anybody supply details please?

Si_L 23:39 30 Sep 08

Little graph to show Evertons debt.

click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac