Niff Naff & Trivia

morddwyd 17:34 10 May 12

Some of the items for intending legislation, trawled from the BBC site, I'm not going to link theme all

Flexible parental leave

E-mail monitoring

Voter registration

Court television

Defamation Law

Royal succession

Gay Marriage

Lords reform

Not saying none of these have their place, but of all the problems facing the country, I wouldn't say that these are at the top of the list.

Aitchbee 18:28 10 May 12

I look upon The BBC as 'The Permanent Unofficial Opposition' to any serving British Government...they (The BBC) succinctly report the truth, something politicians do not do...unless their arms are twisted.

Forum Editor 18:31 10 May 12

"...I wouldn't say that these are at the top of the list."

Did anyone say they were? The items on the list are those for which there's a need - in the government's opinion - for new legislation. Lots of other priorities are covered by existing legislation, and only require a Ministerial decision.

Forum Editor 18:33 10 May 12

"they (The BBC) succinctly report the truth, something politicians do not do"

Two sweeping generalisations in one sentence - well done. Both statements are almost certainly false, however.

Condom 19:09 10 May 12

"Clearly, we can conclude you are male and, therefore, incapable of multi-tasking."

What a rediculous thing to say which makes me think you must be suffering from this very same complaint...ie thinking and writing at the same time or perhaps entirely incapable of doing the first.

Aitchbee 19:45 10 May 12

FE...you missed out the part where I finished off by saying "...unless their arms are twisted."

morddwyd 20:03 10 May 12

Suggestions that I am mistaken as part of a debate supported by sensible arguments, even if I don't agree with them, I find perfectly acceptable, and is what debate is all about.

Offering personal abuse is always the sign of a weak argument.

morddwyd 07:29 11 May 12

"Obviously, I'm happy to apologise if morddwyd is actually offended but the evidence of several years suggests he is made of sterner stuff."

Actually I was and I thank you for your apology.

In similar vein, based on several years experience I was expecting more cogent arguments.

Back to work - "The notion that parliamentarians can't act on the economy and deal with other tasks at the same time is ludicrous."

I wasn't suggesting they couldn't act on other things, simply that there were more important "other things" which could be looked at in the next year.

finerty 19:54 11 May 12

Well politicians lie and lie by playing politics. Hence the torys will say anything to win a vote but remember there mothers once claimed child benefit, something this coalition is trying to destroy.

morddwyd 20:06 11 May 12

"What support can you offer for the notion that dealing with these matters will distract or divert attention from more serious affairs?"

The fact that the more serious affairs don't seem to get much of a mention.

Obviously it could be the bias of the reports I've read, and also a great deal my own biases, but I would like to have seen something definite on jobs (not"pie in the sky" stimulate the economy), nonEU immigration, civil service bloat, help stimulation and protection for the young, company greed, derelict high streets and a few others.

Woolwell 20:06 11 May 12

finerty - have you anything to back up your claim about child benefit? Perhaps this gives a better picture Guardian

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now