NHS Raids Charity

laurie53 12:54 07 Oct 07

The local NHS Trust, like most others, has a charity fund for the benefit of nurses and patients.

However, they have decided to raid it to avoid having to pay for new nurses uniforms.

click here

I know the NHS has come in for a fair bit of stick, but surely this is a new low?

Belatucadrus 13:11 07 Oct 07

The League of Hospital friends had donated equipment to our local hospital to improve facilities in their area. The NHS decided it could be "better used" elsewhere and nicked it for their new edifice twenty miles up the road, didn't go down too well.

gudgulf 13:42 07 Oct 07

From the link

"This one-off endowment allocation allowed us to change all our nurses' uniforms from traditional dresses to tunics and trousers much quicker than if we had continued with the normal replacement process."

The question that comes to my mind is, how long until the next need for a *one-off* allocation arises ?

As an NHS employee I find this a disgraceful act and the above justification is the sort of spin that is all too common these days.

Rather like the fixed tv competitions,this is just the sort of thing to shake public trust that any money donated will be used properly.It may lead to a drop in the charitable donations that are used to provide such things a rest point seating on the long corridors within the hospital in which I work.

DrScott 13:45 07 Oct 07

for trusts to take the money given to wards as charitable donations and then use it in the overall budget. In fact, the wards then have to apply to use that money for themselves, and usually get very little of it.

All the funds given to trusts by universities are also being used to supplement the overall budget, and are no longer ring fenced for training.

And where do you think all that car parking cash goes? Not on improving the parking or availability of spaces.

If you have a good experience in hospital chocolates or other such gift is usually better received as then the gift will stay on the ward.

gudgulf 14:00 07 Oct 07

Well said.

But could I just add areas other than wards are also partial to chocolate....such as *cough* Radiology ;))

oresome 14:14 07 Oct 07

"And where do you think all that car parking cash goes? Not on improving the parking or availability of spaces."

The capital cost of the parking provision and some of the running costs have to be found before any revenue is obtained. Why should the revenue generated then be ringfenced for further parking provision rather than to help pay for what is already there?

DrScott 14:36 07 Oct 07

Except for the fact that almost all the infrastructure was there in the first place in most trusts.

A novel idea would perhaps be charging very little, just enough to keep the system ticking over? Or perhaps not charging medical staff a monthly fee for having the privilege of parking at their place of work?

I'm not over impressed that charging patients and staff is a valid way of augmenting NHS funding deficits.

octal 14:36 07 Oct 07

We run from year to year with all the chocolate and biscuits that are disseminated down to us from the wards every Christmas. I think it's a conspiracy to block our arteries to drum up business. Just kidding, we've got a great relationship with all the departments we deal with.

DrScott 14:36 07 Oct 07

I believe the anaesthetic office is fairly partial to chocolates too... *whistling quietly*

laurie53 14:52 07 Oct 07

"Why should the revenue generated then be ringfenced for further parking provision rather than to help pay for what is already there?"

<Figures obtained under freedom of information legislation show that since 2004, NHS Grampian has raked in £3,449,000 through its car parks at Aberdeen Royal Infirmary.>

click here

£3.5 million would repay am awful lot of car park capital investment! Note that that is at just one hospital. albeit a big one.

oresome 15:15 07 Oct 07

"She said: "Firstly there is the capital payback, which is paying back the money spent setting up the car park and the technology.

"The car park also has an annual running cost of £500,000. The rest of the money is ploughed back into the site for things like improving security and CCTV, road maintenance and new signage."

The £3.5 million over a number of years doesn't look quite as big in the context of the above quote. (I'm not sure if it's the same carpark, but the principle applies)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac