NHS IT upgrade down again affecting 80 trusts.

Jimmy14 23:56 31 Jul 06

Computers across 80 NHS Trusts are down tonight because of power system interuptions.The main areas effected are The North-West of England and the West Midlands. A NHS spokesman has said that their has been no data lost though. This isn't the first time that the £6.8bn over 10 year IT Project has been down and needing repaired. Ministers have also criticised the public money being wasted because of the continuing problems it is facing. What do you think of this project?
click here

Forum Editor 00:52 01 Aug 06

"Technical issues following power system interruptions mean that data held on computers in the central data centre for the region cannot be accessed. The nature of the incident meant that service could not immediately be provided by the back-up systems."

If that happened to my web server I would want to be asking some very serious questions indeed.

Such as: why did the back-up power systems not come onstream as soon as the main power supply failed?

Was there a disaster recovery policy in place in the data centre, and if so, did it include regular simulations designed to test for just this kind of incident?

One would hope that a modern system costing £6.8 billion over ten years would be just about bomb-proof as far as powers supply failures were concerned. If I was managing such a project it's about the first thing I would want to get right.

€dstowe 07:46 01 Aug 06

""Technical issues following power system interruptions mean that data held on computers in the central data centre for the region cannot be accessed.

"The nature of the incident meant that service could not immediately be provided by the back-up systems.

"No data has been lost.""

Absolute piffle! There are lots of situations in medicine where prompt treatment is vital (in its true meaning). Putting trust in an unreliable computer system is worse than useless and if there are no paper records the situation is worse than it was in Florence Nightingale's time.

For the meaning of "vital" see click here

packettracer 09:30 01 Aug 06

NPfIT has been a disaster since day 1.
I worked on the project when it first started but left as did others when we realised how badly it was managed & how poor the service was, got a job elsewhere soon after, it's not something i put on my cv!

The main problem is that some doctors have the new keyboards with id card readers in them, but local hosptails have not been linked up, so all very pointless for them.

I know of 2 large London NHS trust, situated over different sites that the keyboards & software are in place, but no other hospitals in the area are connected up & will not be for 2 years!

Jimmy14 14:04 01 Aug 06

BT is dumping one of its main contractors "IDX" who were responsible for the 10 year upgrade to the NHS Computer Network, BT spokesman says. They will then transfer the project to rival company "Cerner" in the third quarter of this year. In January, GE Healthcare acquired IDX Systems, the company originally contracted by BT for the work.

The goverment who is responsible for the whole project is modernising the technology within England and Wales are digitising patients records and creating a advanced communications infastructure. BT is responsible for the Care records service which will make electronic patients records available through a nationwide network called "National Data Spine"

A goverment report in June found that the National Data Spine is 10 months behind schedule though. Even the Care Records service is 2 years behind schedule.

NOTE: SOME INFORMATION IN THIS UPDATE HAS BEEN ACQUIRED FROM PC ADVISOR'S NEWS SECTION WHICH IS BELOW.
click here

Jimmy14 14:18 01 Aug 06
  packettracer 14:33 01 Aug 06

A friend who is a GP has had all the kit installed at his practice, staff have been issued with the id cards to use for "choose & book" But none of the local hopitals are connected up, the reason being that they want to GP practices in place first?

Surely doing it by an area at a time would make more sense & also then you can see what problems may arise.

It's over budget, under staffed & poorly managed!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…