NHS Dental Treatment

crosstrainer 06:18 02 Oct 08

As many here will know, I am currently having treatment for DVT, and have needed a tooth (turned out to be two) removed for some months now.

My own (and it seems most) Dental Surgeons will not extract teeth whilst a patient is taking blood thinners of any kind.

My only course of action was to attend the Dental teaching Hospital as an emergency patient. The standard of care took me back decades to the day's when you were first examined, then x-rayed, the problems explained clearly to you, and the treatment then administered.

Bare in mind that all the people involved in my treatment yesterday were students at various stages of qualification.

Supervised at all times by a qualified teaching dentist, the 20 something young lady (who had never extracted molar teeth before, much less in a patient on Warfarin therapy) proceeded to inject me with the anesthetic and extracted the teeth.

Complications arose when they could not stop the bleeding, and as a result, the senior dentist stepped in and stiched me up.

This was all conducted very efficiently, in a friendly manner, and despite being a very busy place at no time did I feel that things were being rushed.

Seems that the students learn the old fashioned way, but are forced into taking short cuts when they have qualified and faced with targets.

Well done to all the staff at the dental hospital, and I would recommend this course of action to anyone who for whatever reason cannot attend a normal Dentist

BT 07:06 02 Oct 08

In the 70's when my wife was pregnant she needed a tooth extracted and our dentist sent her to Kings College dental school. For some reason she wasn't allowed the normal anaesthetic and she was given good old fashioned Cocaine.

She was extremely happy for the rest of the day!!

crosstrainer 07:18 02 Oct 08

Didn't get that, but the level of care was superb. I would have changed happily to have all my dental needs from the hospital, but they don't allow this, preferring to select patients who are of interest to the students.

Chegs ®™ 13:42 02 Oct 08

I'm presently in absolute agony with an abcess under a tooth.My own NHS dentists have long since gone private (or retired) and I finally found a dentist locally that did NHS work,only she has now returned to Poland so was forced to use the NHS emergency helpline who sent me to a dentists in the next town.She was also of foreign origin,spoke very poor english and prescribed anti-biotics & painkillers(also was full of cold so now I am also coughing a sneezing to add to my misery)The standard of NHS dentistry in our area is poor(if you can actually find an NHS dentist)and I'm getting somewhat fed-up of reading in the paper what steps our primary care trust is doing to redress the problems when it seems that nothing has changed in the last 10 years.

spuds 23:13 02 Oct 08

Its becoming very confusing as what what service you are entitled to or expect from these professionals.

A number of years ago I had a wisdom tooth removed by a 'probationer' being supervised by a senior partner in a dental practise.This included stitching the gum.

Twelve months ago at a different dentist practise, I was informed that a capped wisdom tooth 'stump' was showing signs of decay on x-ray. The dentist stated that I would need to go to the local hospital dental department, when the time comes for removal. That dentist as since left the practise and the new 'young' replacement dentist as made an appointment for the wisdom tooth to be removed in two weeks time.Same practise but two different dentist's. Would add that I was given the option of a wisdom removal and having a cracked filling replaced for about £43.00 or surgical work plus new crown for £169.00.

If I recall rightly, most dentists are going private because they stated that they could not provide a truly professional service, that they thought the client required!.

crosstrainer 05:22 03 Oct 08

Ask your dentist for a letter of referral to your nearest teaching dental hospital.

spuds 11:18 03 Oct 08

I would agree with crosstrainer's suggestion, even your own GP may be able to do this for you!.

When my previous dentist suggested the local hospital to me, there was a fairly lengthy waiting list, but I believe this as now been reduced considerably. Depending on your own local hospitals targets, the same may apply. Best to make arrangements asap, unless of course your area as an out of hours (usually Sundays)emergency service arrangement.

Chegs ®™ 12:17 03 Oct 08

I had already done a search online after reading your 1st post in this thread and am dismayed to discover that the nearest teaching dental hospital is 40+ miles away and also "The development of a Dental Education Centre at the Cumberland Infirmary which will be admitting its first students this September" means I'm still stuffed.

Diemmess 16:41 03 Oct 08

Your dentist or doctor, (if they agree) can refer you to an oral surgery or maxillo-facial unit, at the nearest general hospital having that facility.
It certainly does not have to be a dental teaching hospital.

crosstrainer 04:44 04 Oct 08

If you mention the words "Abcess" and "septcemia" You should be fast-tracked to the nearest emergency treatment centre.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…