NHS

morddwyd 22:50 15 Sep 09

Earlier today my wife had an appointment at the local health centre.

When we arrived we were told that the previous patient had been taken ill and this had caused appointments to be running 15 minutes late, which was fair enough, and at least they told us.

Having waited twenty minutes they then told us that they couldn't deal with my wife as the patient who had the appointment after us (I was with her as her carer) had walked into the surgery and was abusing the staff refusing to leave as it was time for her appointment.

Pretty disgraceful, behaviour, but what was more disgraceful was that my wife had to leave without treatment, and now has to await another appointment.

I thought the NHS was supposed to have procedures in place to deal with this sort of thing?

One wonders what would have happened if it had been a drunken young man causing the trouble instead of a bad tempered old lady.

Forum Editor 22:57 15 Sep 09

but what would you have done, had you been responsible for managing that situation?

BRYNIT 23:14 15 Sep 09

Forum Editor

The simplest solution would have been to have a quiet word with morddwyd wife to see if they could wait a little longer. The bad tempered old lady could have then be seen first and morddwyd seen afterwords instead of cancelling the appointment.

Jak_1 00:55 16 Sep 09

Not always that simple when running a clinic. I doubt that a patient would have been asked to await a further appointment if treatment had been essential at that point in time and could not have been postponed. Clinics do have to prioritise and if treatment could not have waited then she would have been seen.
It is irritating as FE has said, but the clinical staff had to make a decision based upon the clinical needs of all patients who were waiting.

morddwyd 08:09 16 Sep 09

"what would you have done, had you been responsible for managing that situation?"

I don't know, I am not a practice manager being paid a good salary to manage this sort of situation.

There was no question of clinical need - this was an appointment with an auxiliary clinic, which had already been postponed twice, the original appointment was for 25 June. This woman was seen simply because she burst into the surgery, abused the staff and refused to leave. I repeat my question, what would the staff had done if it had been a drunken young man?

As it happens, and the staff were made aware of this, both my wife and I were having bad days, and we had only got out ourselves out of bed to attend this appointment at 3.20pm, whence we returned when we got home.

Quiller. 08:36 16 Sep 09

what would the staff had done if it had been a drunken young man?

If the drunken young man had an appointment, be told to wait his turn and be quiet or they would call the police.

If he had no appointment, then told to leave or they would call the police.

Both scenarios could culminate in being told to find another doctor to treat him.

I took my disable son to an appointment at 6pm yesterday. We arrived at 5.50pm and were the only one's there. The doctor arrived at 6.45 and we were seen at 6.50pm. There is only one main doctor in the practice and we understand that they do get called out to emergences and can run late with other duties.

It's not very often we have to wait so long but we understand that emergences and hiccup's do occur.
Not only do we get a few cantankerous patients but the practise does deal with quite a few drug users, who on the whole behave quite well.

octal 12:48 16 Sep 09

"but what would you have done, had you been responsible for managing that situation?"

Call the police, no question, it's against the law to abuse NHS staff, no doubt there was a notice to this effect in the centre.

Falkyrn 13:17 16 Sep 09

"One wonders what would have happened if it had been a drunken young man causing the trouble instead of a bad tempered old lady."

Why should the age or gender of the aggressive patient be a factor ?

Colin 13:22 16 Sep 09

This is typical of today’s bad mannered society. Just make a fuss and be a pain in the rear and you’ll get sorted. Not because they’re in the right, but because it’s easier to just to give the moron what they want to get rid of them. They’ve got nothing to lose, so they don’t care. If security or the Police were involved, this would mean time and resources being used by the surgery that is better spent on the patients. I’ve witnessed this happening recently in a chemist and a Post Office where the miscreant was dealt with when they should have been kicked out of the place.

morddwyd 14:45 16 Sep 09

"Why should the age or gender of the aggressive patient be a factor ?"

It shouldn't. That's my point.

If it had been a drunken youngster the police would have been called immediately.

Jak_1 15:06 16 Sep 09

Having to call in the police is a last resort, had she become violent towards the staff then no doubt the police would have been called. Unfortunately there are always disruptive people around, no doubt the woman concerned will have been warned that if she was to behave like that again then she would have to find another practice to look after her health needs.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac