Next Working Day

pj123 17:02 26 Oct 08

Now that most, if not all, shops and stores are open for business 7 days a week next working day is any day. Isn’t it?

Well, yes it is if you are buying but when you want delivery it seems that Saturday and Sunday and Bank Holidays are still non working days.

I ordered something on Wednesday 22nd October on a “Free delivery on online orders delivered to your door within 72 hours” basis.

The 72 hours has now passed and I have still not received my order.

The store is open 7 days a week but the item I ordered is cheaper to buy online than it is in store.

GRIDD 17:13 26 Oct 08

"Now that most, if not all, shops and stores are open for business 7 days a week next working day is any day. Isn’t it?"

No it isn't. It's Monday to Friday on a normal week.

*normal week means no bank/customary holidays etc

oresome 17:21 26 Oct 08

I expect pj123 already knew that, but I agree the term is in need of change.

Carriers don't normally work Sundays on house deliveries, but they do deliver on a Saturday for a premium, so we could argue their working days are 6 per week.

Perhaps we should call it next non-premium working day, but it doesn't have much of a ring to it does it.

pj123 17:26 26 Oct 08

GRIDD, so store "A" which is open 7 days a week is not working on Saturday or Sunday?

BRYNIT 19:17 26 Oct 08

Just a thought.

Although the shops may open seven days the warehouse that processes the order from the Internet may only work Mon-Fri.

laurie53 19:27 26 Oct 08

Since you can order on line 24 hours a day, perhaps we should insist on deliveries at 2.00am?

Most people do not work in stores, and their normal working week is Monday to Friday, the generally recognized working days throughout much of the world.

spuds 19:51 26 Oct 08

Whether its the build up before the December rush, but I have noticed a couple of stores are now offering deliveries at least 6 days a week, 7am till 10pm. Currys seem to offering extended delivery hours.

interzone55 20:18 26 Oct 08

Currys have offered weekend deliveries for a few years, and I think Argos do at a premium.

In reality though, most shops sub-contract their deliveries to major couriers like DHL, Parcelforce, Geopost etc. and these companies work a standard 5 day week unless you want to pay a premium for Saturday morning delivery.

Shops manage to open 7 days a week by having weekend staff, who are usually under 18 so are paid very little.

Couriers on the other hand, manage weekend deliveries with the regular staff on overtime, hence the weekend premium charge...

Dart Echo 21:11 27 Oct 08

It does not matter if a place is open 5 days a week or 8. The working week is widely accepted and defined (by most people brought up in the UK, that is, strangers to our shores may not know this)as being Mon to Fri.

GRIDD 01:33 28 Oct 08

Sat and Sun.

I get every other weekend off and I get paid time and a half for working a Sunday. No premium for a Saturday but, it is a shorter shift than Mon to Fri, and I am away home by lunch time.

lofty29 09:28 28 Oct 08

It is like the post office and their joke of a first class mail service, you are very lucky if you get it the next day.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…