Next time a tile blows off your roof in a gale

Forum Editor 12:41 PM 12 Oct 13

count yourself lucky that you don't have this to contend with.It's difficult to imagine the terror that a storm of this magnitude must cause as it bears down on your village/town/city.

Mr Mistoffelees 15:10 PM 12 Oct 13

We are indeed fortunate that storms of that magnitude don't have a habit of arriving on our shores.

onthelimit1 15:18 PM 12 Oct 13

Having experienced a cyclone in Bangladesh some years ago which killed hundreds of thousands of people (yes really), I'm just glad I live in a placid part of the world.

Blackhat 16:32 PM 12 Oct 13

I know a bit about being in a storm.

1.I live in Kings Heath, Birmingham which had one of the uk's worst city based tornado's a few years ago, suffered a loss of garden fence and minor out house damage, video link

2.Got married in St Lucia, 2 days before wedding we had hurricane Marilyn Sattelite image over St Lucia A few fatalities, lost some buildings and a beach washed away.

3.Wedding day we had a tornado which went across resort then out to sea, just 5 minutes after our ceremony finished Turned into a water spout

4.Same holiday, went on a sunset cruise, weather went downhill fast, found ourselves out at sea in a tropical storm, very lucky to get back without csualties.

5.Out jogging, passed by a shop that got struck by lightening, was knocked over, digital watch totaly zapped, had tingles for a few hours.

Just a side note, during the hurricane (our wedding/honeymoon holiday) we were confined to our brick bungalo for 14 hours, power went down, back up generators failed due to flooding, there was not a lot to do. We agreed that had we concieved the child, boy or girl, would be named Marilyn.

Forum Editor 16:41 PM 12 Oct 13

*"hundreds of thousands of people (yes really)"

In 1876 a cyclone killed an estimated 200,000 people, but that was a bit before our time. Only one recorded cyclone has ever killed more people.

In November 1970 a severe tropical cyclone created devastation along the entire coast of Bangladesh, killing an estimated half million people and a million cattle. That had a maximum wind speed of 222kph and a storm surge of 10.6 metres.

The storm that we're discussing is likely to have higher wind speeds (up to 296kph) but a smaller storm surge of 3 metres.

Forum Editor 16:43 PM 12 Oct 13

Blackhat

So, you were on honeymoon, confined in a bungalow for 14 hours, and there was 'not a lot to do'????

Blackhat 16:58 PM 12 Oct 13

FE

Well yes, there was certain activities in which we could indulge but 14 hours is probably a bit beyond most couples endurance.

Forum Editor 17:04 PM 12 Oct 13

Blackhat

Really, so I'm in a minority then?

rdave13 17:18 PM 12 Oct 13

:)

Blackhat 17:31 PM 12 Oct 13

Follow up, despite concerted efforts there never was a little Marilyn.

We can however say that our marriage got off to a stormy start. Still happily married 18 years on.

Aitchbee 18:49 PM 12 Oct 13
Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get free stuff for Android: Amazon Underground offers genuinely free Android apps and free…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Swedish schoolkids use Minecraft to redesign Stockholm city centre

Apple's special event invitations decoded: A look back at 13 of Apple's most cryptic invites