'News' or subtle product plant?

jack 09:48 12 Sep 09

This morning breakfast on BBC1 contained an item about an unfortunate lady who transferred funds to the wrong account in error and the fact the bank could not/would not - help out of the predicament.
The story it self seems full of holes about measures the lady should take- but that apart I could not help but notice the 'Victim'- was shown sat at her machine, and later another participant - a member of the bank payments org., was sat with her machine in front of her
Both carefully positioned to reveal- to those that take interest in such things- They were AppleMacs
-nothing wrong with Apples as such but I thought this has to be a 'News agency PR plant'
What do you all think?

Quickbeam 10:10 12 Sep 09

Perhaps they should have covered in in sticky back plastic to hide the makers name just like Val did with the Kellogg's boxes all those years ago:)

Mr Mistoffelees 10:33 12 Sep 09

They could have been sat infront of enough Apples to fill a landfill site, I'll still use a PC!

Forum Editor 10:47 12 Sep 09

Our daily lives are full of brand images - a few more on TV aren't likely to matter much, and surely TV should to some extent be a reflection of life. If someone uses an Apple Mac, why not show it?

Colin 10:57 12 Sep 09

If it was a 'News agency PR plant' it didn't work for me. The Mac monitor looked ridiculous with the 3 inches of plastic below the screen.

Brumas 11:00 12 Sep 09

What next, shall we expect all car logos to be airbrushed out whenever they appear in a news item - I think not!
As FE quite rightly points out "Our daily lives are full of brand images - a few more on TV aren't likely to matter much"
Personally I would never, ever go back to a PC! An Apple a day helps me work, rest and play! Sorry to mix my metaphors ;o)

jack 12:27 12 Sep 09

I guess you both missed the point or perhaps I did not make it plain enough.
As you both say and quickbeam- long gone are the days when products - piano's even in a concert had the name taped out- which in my view was/is like Mary Whitehouse's valiant efforts- served only to bring the items to the fore and bigger audiences.

What I am trying to get across is what is 'News'
i.e real public interest- and what is some form of disguised promotion?
Similarly all these 'stats' and reports on what is good to eat and what is bad - mostly put about by the research teams funded by a company with something to sell- We all I am sure take these items with a large pinch of Saxa- sorry salt.
It imply s I suppose the BBC' with its strict non commercial broadcasting policy- is being conned into showing promotional material after all.

interzone55 16:49 12 Sep 09

Apart from the bus size holes in her story (accidentally paying an old payee, but doesn't know their name so can't sue) this is something I've recently questioned my bank about after almost paying money to an expired visa card rather than my new one.

I sent a question to the bank and they replied that I can't delete payees from the Internet banking service, but if I send them the details of old payees they'll change the description to Do Not Use, which is a little odd. They do however automatically delete payees that remain unused for 13 months...

BT 17:20 12 Sep 09

I use Barclays Online Banking and its quite simple to delete Payees,Direct Debits, Standing Orders etc, and to set up new ones.

It wasn't possible to delete Payees online until about a year ago, you had to ask them to do it, but now its just a couple of mouse clicks. As to paying someone accidentally, there are two confirmation steps before a payment is made, and all payment details stored have to have a name of some sort attached,ie Gas, Electric,Council Tax etc.

As to the BBC blanking out product names they seem to do it even more now than they ever did. Logos on T Shirts etc are regularly blurred out. The software they use now makes the blurring much less noticeable as it follows the item closely

morddwyd 21:00 12 Sep 09

I believe that "product placement" is subject to quite strict guidelines from Ofcom, not just on the BBC and in news broadcasts, but in normal dramas and soaps too.

It is, in effect, advertising, and treated as such.

That's why, while there may be real products like crisps and scratchings on the bar, the beer pumps normally have fictitious brewery names.

morddwyd 06:52 13 Sep 09

"I believe that "product placement" is subject to quite strict guidelines"

Shortly to be changed

click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

LG G6 review: Hands-on with LG’s bold, big-screen shot at perfection

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the 2017 Oscar-winning VFX of The Jungle Book were created

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…