New 'superbug'

peter99co 16:43 11 Aug 10

click here

I know we have many reasons for avoiding travel to India and Pakistan but this is a real horror story. A high price to pay for cosmetic surgery I think!

jack 17:35 11 Aug 10

bacterium and other forms of life including Homo Sapiens are constantly evolving and changing to combat threats - that's what the evolutionary theory is all about - every thing on the move - so we- us mere humans have to be ever vigilant.
The media do like a good horror story.

sunnystaines 18:03 11 Aug 10

I would be too worried about hygenie to go to those places for medical treatment.

Forum Editor 19:17 11 Aug 10

I wonder how many times we've heard that kind of remark in the past couple of decades or so, yet here we all are - life on earth isn't quite wiped out yet.

Obviously a bacterium that is resistant to antibiotics isn't something to treat lightly, and obviously we would be better off without it but....

as far as I know this bacterium isn't a killer. It can make you pretty ill, but you'll live. So far only 50 cases have occurred in the UK, so it isn't exactly spreading like wildfire. I'll wait a while before I start worrying, I think.

morddwyd 20:39 11 Aug 10

Many of us can still remember when diphtheria, polio and smallpox were "superbugs"

TABS! (There's Always B****y Something)

justme 22:49 11 Aug 10

Perhaps I'm just a cynical old git, but could the real reason for the scare story be that the 'experts' who raised the issue are worried that their funding is due to be reduced or disappear completely in the Government cutbacks.

sunnystaines 06:52 12 Aug 10

when i goto nat neurology hosp everyone has a nose swab for carrying bugs but not seen this practice at any other hospital.

may be indian bug is just a stop gap alert while we wait for the next flu panic. these panics are done on purpose for pharma companies to make money and gov't to keep our attention off the state of the countries affairs.

michaelw 12:15 12 Aug 10

It is slightly worrying but we've heard it all before with Swine Flu, Bird Flu, et al and it never amounts to anything dire.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…