New neighbour etiquette

wizza68 22:53 01 Feb 07

When I moved into my house in 2005, I went round to a few neighbours to introduce myself and say hello. Since then there have been some new neighbours that have moved in and I went round to say hello after a few days.

What do you think should be the right way of doing things? Who should make the first move?

Forum Editor 23:11 01 Feb 07

when you moved into a new neighbourhood you didn't have to wait long before someone called round to welcome you, and introduce themselves. Nowadays things may be slightly different, particularly in a big city.

People tend to hang back a little, and respect your right to privacy. Not everyone who moves to a new area wants to make friends with the neighbours, at least not until they've had a chance to settle a little and take stock. I think it's probably best to engineer a meeting outside the house, perhaps when you see the new neighbours putting out the rubbish for instance, and introduce yourself that way, rather than turning up on the doorstep.

p;3 23:50 01 Feb 07

can always say hi while doing the garden or cleaning the car;make it a natural exchange of greeting ; or joke about the weather

GANDALF <|:-)> 00:12 02 Feb 07

I always find setting fire to their dog and running off with their wife provides a suitable introduction.

G

rodriguez 00:19 02 Feb 07

Gandalf, yes that will get you well known. Nice plan ;-)

Chegs ®™ 00:44 02 Feb 07

I always find setting fire to their dog and running off with their wife provides a suitable introduction.

Around here its mostly 1 parent families so likely to be a bit difficult to leg it with their wife,and we're the only dog owners in the row. :)

BT 08:27 02 Feb 07

When we moved to our new place in Norwich, the outgoing couple had invited round the immediate neighbours when we arrived to collect the keys, and introduced us. Then they made us a cup of tea before they left.

laurie53 10:33 02 Feb 07

We have moved 15 times and I have never gone round to any new neighbours, or had any come to me.

When out in the garden, or just coming and going, we simply introduce ourselves as the occasion presents itself.

Works for me!

Laurie

Jackcoms 11:09 02 Feb 07

I've lived in a Close of 11 houses for something like 14 years.

I wouldn't know or recognise any of my neighbours even if they came up and bit me on the bum.

jackhass 11:28 02 Feb 07

Neighbour's first question - "Hi,how are you "?
Second "What do you do"?

"fine thankyou" and "I mind my own business".

I suppose it is like flying.Sometimes you can find yourself next to a fat,smelly moron.

Personally I like to keep it to simple 'morning,afternoon or good evening' niceties.
The southern English way.

Ho-Lin-Sok 15:26 02 Feb 07

Is that the normal greeting where you live.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…