New Music

Crosstrainer2 19:46 PM 13 Jun 11

What do you like? , and where should music go now?

Ct

Quickbeam 19:51 PM 13 Jun 11

It's doing just fine after the disastrous '80s decade.

wiz-king 19:59 PM 13 Jun 11

New! - pre 1800 for me please.

Quickbeam 21:27 PM 13 Jun 11

"pre 1800" Well I took up music last year on bass and I have to say there's nothing truly new, I've been doing some of the Bach suites written for cello, but they work on bass too, and in the Rock School grade 2 book there is a piece that is so baroque in it's sound, it could have been written by Bach himself!

chub_tor 21:38 PM 13 Jun 11

Please, please bring back the days of the Big Band with 5 saxophones, 4 trumpets, 4 trombones, a great drummer who could double on a vibraphone, a double bass, a piano, a guitar and a man waving a stick in front. Will we ever again hear the precision of Stan Kenton, Duke Ellington, Count Basie and our very own Ted Heath, Jack Parnell and Ken Mackintosh?

Quickbeam 22:08 PM 13 Jun 11

This old Kronenbourg ad from 1664 proves that nothing is new... Baggy Trouswers

Quickbeam 22:10 PM 13 Jun 11

...silent 'w' y'know.

Forum Editor 22:35 PM 13 Jun 11

No doubt music will continue to go in lots of different directions - as it has for generations.

The important thing is that we all have music we like, regardless of what others might say about it.

Crosstrainer2 22:38 PM 13 Jun 11

FE

Ty

wee eddie 10:12 AM 14 Jun 11

What will be interesting, and I won't be around to hear it, is:

Which Music, published during the last 100 years, will be played, reproduced or re-recorded, when all those who listened to the original performance are long dead.

For example, we are now able to listen to that original Performance as performed, which was not possible 100 years ago. How will that affect the longevity of certain Performers and/or their music.

For example: I know of several recreations of the Glen Miller Band but none of Charlie Koontz. There are recreations of The Rat Pack, but there appears to be little desire to recreate the Jazz Bands of the Harlem era in the 20's.

In other words. Which of todays music is ephemeral?

Quickbeam 10:32 AM 14 Jun 11

You'll never known until a half century has passed by, by which time most of us will have passed by...:(

There will always be a desire for live performances, just because we can record doesn't end the desire to feel a live performance. Look at the proliferation of tribute bands around, they're only doing the same thing as the philharmonic orchestras are doing with the classical music.

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get free stuff for Android: Amazon Underground offers genuinely free Android apps and free…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Swedish schoolkids use Minecraft to redesign Stockholm city centre

Apple's special event invitations decoded: A look back at 13 of Apple's most cryptic invites