New Laws on Succession

K_elt 18:31 22 Apr 08

How far do people think Solicitor General Vera Baird will get with her proposed changes to current law on succession?

She has stated the current laws are "unfair" and "a load of rubbish".

I think this is another step in preparing the country to become a republic.

I'm surprised it has taken as long for this issue to be addressed under laws relating to sex and religious discrimination.

I can see the law relating to male/female succession being changed readily enough, but I don't know if changing the rules on marrying a catholic will happen as quickly. Maybe not until the present queen steps down perhaps.

interzone55 21:08 22 Apr 08

Charlie married a Catholic & as far as I'm aware he's still the Heir Apparent...

laurie53 09:10 23 Apr 08

Marry a Catholic?

Can you imagine the apoplexy some people would have if one of them wanted to marry a Muslim, which is, of course, perfectly permissible?

It's just Catholics who are discriminated against.

K_elt 18:08 23 Apr 08

From TimesOnline 10/02/05, in a comment from Lord St John of Fawsley, the former Conservative Cabinet minister "Her previous husband was Catholic, but she was never Catholic. Thank God, she is not a Catholic,,,"

fourm member, because it wouldn't be a problem now is why I would think it would be easy to deal with now.

I think there are still many who would probably have a problem if a Catholic were to become a member of the royal family. Worse still to become heir.

laurie53, funny that, isn't it, that it is still only the Catholic faith that is not allowed. By the 1980's you would have thought it would have been changed to all other religions.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 benchmarks: Antutu, Geekbench 4, GFXBench and PCMark results

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This stop-frame animation tells a moving story of domestic violence for Refuge

New iPad 2017 preview: Apple's affordable but underspecced new iPad may appeal to the education…