A new law comes into effect today

Forum Editor 12:30 01 Jul 07

and it's nothing to do with smoking. It's the snappily titled Waste Electrical and Electronic Equipment (WEEE) Directive.

click here

spuds 12:45 01 Jul 07

Noticed the signs up in Currys last Friday, about free disposal of unwanted goods. Trying to get rid of fridge/freezers and similar environmentally unfriendly equipment, as been an absolute nightmare where I live. But I wonder how much this is going to cost the consumer in the long term!.

Quickbeam 13:07 01 Jul 07

For years we've had products with the icon for good environmental disposal displayed on them, particularly batteries. Yet, nobody seems to know where to dispose of these items.

I believe something like ,almost 100% of batteries go in the wheelie bin, and I have to admit in the last couple of weeks I threw a buggered freeview box in the wheelie bin as despite all the recycle boxs we've been given, they didn't want the freeview box.

I expect another box will soon be issued.

Stuartli 14:00 01 Jul 07

>>..wonder how much it's going to cost the customer in the end...>>

Our local council offers a very efficient, free service for collection and disposal of large items such as beds, mattresses, appliances etc.

All that is required is a quick telephone call to arrange a date and time.

The local tip also accepts such items at present.

Stuartli 14:02 01 Jul 07

Your local electrical outlet will have to pay to dispose of any unwanted items collected from customers.

The small independent retailers for one are not too happy about it as overheads are already reaching high levels.

pj123 14:32 01 Jul 07

As far as I know Comet has been doing it for years. Bought a Fridge/Freezer last year from Comet, they took the old one away, no extra charge. Three months ago had to buy a new Washing machine, went to Comet, they took the old one away, again no extra charge. I think most of the big "Superstores" do the same.

As Stuartli says, this will affect the small local independent shops more that the biggies.

Our local council will also take large items but they charge £15 for up to 3 items.

HCOOH 19:01 01 Jul 07

Round here it's £60 (£30 for OAP's) for a council pickup. If you can get your stuff to the local tip, (sorry-recycling centre) there are numerous piles where you can deposit your stuff.
I have often wondered why the country lanes are festooned with old 3 piece suites and white goods.

laurie53 20:52 01 Jul 07

Our local council amenity site has containers for batteries. and all domestic electrical goods, and has had for some time

Laurie

lisa02 21:16 01 Jul 07

All's free here though they take an age to collect.

I needed rid of broken toys, some small old appliances and all. Bagged it up and called the council was quoted 10 days. Almost 3 weeks went by and nothing until one morning I rang and told them a porky.

I told them that the neighbours where threatening to set fire to it outside my house, they where complaining but no threats. They came to collect straight away. I'm not proud of the fact I lied but maybe if retailers & mfrs take on responsibility it might ease up on the council's load.

I am replacing my cooker in the near future so how do I get rid of it? Will curry's take it when I buy my new one?

bluto1 21:30 01 Jul 07

I wonder if Currys and similar types of shop will take our disposable electrics if we don't buy anything?

Stuartli 22:54 01 Jul 07

Would you do something on similar lines if it cost you a tidy sum to do such a favour?

Retail shops are not charities the retail trade is difficult enough...:-)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Samsung Galaxy Book review: Hands-on with Samsung’s high-end hybrid

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This is probably one of the best bank ads we’ve seen

Apple Watch 2 vs Huawei Watch 2 comparison review: watch out for 4G smartwatches Apple