A new kind of forum member?

jack 19:50 26 Jan 05

Have you noticed the plethora of 'HEEELP MEEE'
'ADVICE WANTED' from new names of late?
The amount of txt language that is used?

I cannot help feeling that an IT tutor in a 'Bog Standard Secondary Modern' has pointed is 'Spotty Herbert' charges PCA's way.
Should this forum take on the teaching of proper English as well.

What do you think ?

bremner 19:53 26 Jan 05

The type of english does not really bother me. Our language ghas always been evolving.

But the point of a good title is so that searches can be made easily and should be encouraged.

JonnyTub 20:22 26 Jan 05

spelling, grammer, punctuation, nope, it doesn't bother me in the least, what get's my goat is the use of uneccessary foul language of which there have been a few postings in the last few days. From the last post I read which used these obsenities i gauged the person posting was there purely to wind up the original poster, Fe swiftly took care of the offending post as always. Don't get me wrong, i sometimes "f and blind" all day long, but as has been said before, we should bear in mind that this forum is home to young members also and they shouldn't be subjected to joe "idiot" bloggs" inability to express how they feeling other than using a swear word.

Hope that makes sense

JT

spikeychris 20:52 26 Jan 05

Sorry, I'm having problems understanding your post - you say "'Bog Standard Secondary Modern' has pointed is 'Spotty Herbert' charges PCA's way."

Do you mean 'His' spotty Herbert??

Kettles and ebony springs to mind.

plsndrs3 20:59 26 Jan 05

I share frustration at some of the titles of the postings as they can bear little information as to what the problem is, but I also agree that there are many new forumites and believe that highlighting their need for help is of more importance to them than worrying about title headings as it may get a result quicker. They will learn that the benefit to everyone is that title headings are beneficial to others who can search for a possible solution for their problem - just as I has to learn. I am as guilty as others of not being concise and to the point [just read my postings :o)]

I also find 'txt spk' hard to understand [put that down to my age!] and sometimes need to read the posting twice - but in all honesty I can live with that & see no issues here. I rarely meet people who have 100% command of the language - and I include myself in that - and do not feel that we should be imposing our standards on others as long as it makes sense in the end.

I believe that the good name of this forum spreads quickly [I recommend it to anyone with a problem - even my IT department!] and it is regularly featured in the magazine. I most certainly don't want this to become a 'Boys Own' club as diversity enriches us all!

Finally, I too am worried about some postings of late to people looking for help as some have been little more than personal attacks. There are some forumites who usually give the impression of superiority, yet they make good points - albeit in a blunt manner - but I have never seen them post the kind of nasty, pointless postings that I have seen of late. I have respect for these people, but not those who take swipes at others for no true reason.

BR

Paul

stalion 21:08 26 Jan 05

This subject has been done to death on this Forum,just accept the posts as they come and stop criticising members English.Not everyone who posts on here is British

MidgetMan 21:12 26 Jan 05

"Finally, I too am worried about some postings of late to people looking for help as some have been little more than personal attacks. There are some forumites who usually give the impression of superiority, yet they make good points - albeit in a blunt manner - but I have never seen them post the kind of nasty, pointless postings that I have seen of late. I have respect for these people, but not those who take swipes at others for no true reason."

I agree, some time ago this forum went through a phase of "flamming" I was subject to it a few times myself, it seemed that if you disagreed or posted a differant prospective you were shot down, thankfully those days have gone, but I have seen it re-emerging lately. I personally put it down to the number of younger members who have joined and expect instant replys and respect.

Thankfully we can all decide which posts to reply to, I for one do not involved now if it looks like getting into a "slanging match". Some members can be blunt or to the point but the regulars all know who they are and, to a certain extent expect it, we take no offence and sometimes look forward to it for a little light relief

plsndrs3 21:15 26 Jan 05

Nail on the head, sir!

Buchan 35 21:35 26 Jan 05

What about the member who demand instant attention by `shouting` and I will add, getting it without being told that a quiet question gets as much attention as a whispered one.

Djohn 21:53 26 Jan 05

with their computer problems, not spelling and grammar. I will always try to help anyone if I know the answer, it matters not how they ask or how they spell the request.

sidecar sid 23:12 26 Jan 05

I agree with Djohn if i can help i will regardless of how the question is asked.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…