New forum members - Forum Rules.

Technotiger 17:18 01 Nov 07

I get rather frustrated when people come into the Helproom(s) and when stating their problems, do not give anywhere near enough details or correct Titles to their threads. Also those using Yellow envelope without invite, or putting their email addresses in the open forum.

I think it would be a good idea if new members/users of the forum, should not be allowed to publish their problems/ideas/suggestions etc on the forum, until they have read&agreed the Forum Rules.

What do other members think?

lisa02 17:22 01 Nov 07

I have never read the forum rules except for the header bit on each forum.

Marko797 17:25 01 Nov 07

I've never read them either, but every now n again the FE bites my arris to remind me of some of them...

lisa02 17:25 01 Nov 07

You agree to the terms when you sign up btw.

Technotiger 17:25 01 Nov 07

Hi, the rules are down-loadable - see top-right of page.

Technotiger 17:26 01 Nov 07

How can you agree to something you have not read?

Earthsea 17:28 01 Nov 07

you got out the wrong side of bed this morning.

lisa02 17:29 01 Nov 07

Simple. I am using a free service owned by a big company and guided by one editor who's decision is final. I can accept that.

Probabilitydrive 17:32 01 Nov 07

The forum is open to everyone. Failing occationally to use lower case, or write the problem down as the thought rather than logic dictates, should be but a minor stumble stone.

Denying someone from posting, because it is seen as a question of style and substance over desperation is draconian.

Technotiger 17:44 01 Nov 07

Hi, either that, or maybe I am just turning into a grumpy-old-git.

Anyway, I seem to be a minority of one - ah well, think I'll go back to bed :-)

Forum Editor 17:51 01 Nov 07

I agree completely. The forum is a microcosm of society, we have people from all walks of life, of both sexes, and of all ages - the common ground being our interest in computing. Whether or not someone knows how to spell perfectly, or to write perfect prose is immaterial, and I would hate to think that anyone feels inhibited in any way because of a few forum rules about thread titles etc.

If you do this work day in and day out (and many forum members do, thank goodness) there's always the danger of becoming a little intolerant, and it's to be avoided if at all possible. Come one, come all as far as we're concerned, and if the spelling and syntax slips a little, so what?

Likewise the forum rules - they're there, and it's a good idea to read them through, but if there's the occasional slip it isn't the end of the world. If everyone observed all the rules all the time I would feel decidedly superfluous, but thankfully that's never going to happen.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac