New Forum?

Sapins 08:43 19 Sep 04

As support from Microsoft for 98SE has now stopped and Service Pack 2 for XP is now, mostly, safely installed, would it be a good idea to replace the Windows XP SP2 forum with one specifically for 98SE?

Forum Editor 09:24 19 Sep 04

that WinXP SP2 is "mostly, safely installed" - far from it. Our current poll shows that almost a quarter of the people who have responded are going to wait for a while, and if you add the number of people who have tried and had to uninstall the Service pack you have a third of all respondents who would probably like to update but haven't. I think we'll keep the dedicated forum running for a while yet, it's pretty busy there.

As for Windows 98SE - we can deal with any problems in the normal way, via the Helproom. We don't see too many of them now, and I think the numbers will rapidly fall, not only because people will be upgrading, but because most of the computers that had Win98SE installed are approaching the end of their life-cycle by now. These machines will be replaced with new, WinXP machines, or upgraded with new components and the newer O/S. Obviously there are going to be people who don't upgrade for one reason or another, but they'll increasingly find themselves in a minority as time goes by, and as I said, we can resolve their problems in the Helproom.

It's Me 10:33 19 Sep 04

Thank you.

With respect Sapins, I think that your comment doesn't represent the present reality as far as SP2 is concerned.

Sapins 10:38 19 Sep 04

Point/s taken.

pj123 16:29 19 Sep 04

I'm one of the minority here. As long as my computers (many, as I teach IT) all running Win98SE do exactly what I need them to do I don't see the point in changing to XP. Particularly as I see an awful lot more problems associated with XP on this Forum than I do with 98. As a comparison my neighbour has got a 1968 Morris Minor which he uses daily while all the rest of us have cars with central locking, air conditioning, reclining seats etc. but he is happy with his Morris so he doesn't see any reason to change. Does it boil down to the old adage that "if it ain't broke don't fix it" syndrome.

stalion 17:21 19 Sep 04

forwards and upwards

Al94 19:22 19 Sep 04

At this point in time according to the poll, out of 2526 who voted, approx 757 dont feel confident in trying to install SP2 or are put off by the scaremongering that is going on. 1769 have tried and 1399 report no problems or minor ones they have fixed which is somewhere in the region of 79% of those who have installed therefore I do agree that "mostly safely installed" is a reasonable comment.

The forum is however a great idea for the unfortunate and still reasonably sizeable percentage who are having problems. It will be interesting to see a summary in due course of the main reasons for these problems, I think many will be down to a lack of understanding of security features or improper installation procedures but I may be wrong.

Valvegrid 20:14 19 Sep 04

Those figures are interesting, I haven't voted because I don't use XP. But I question the validity of the poll because it really only represents people who visit this forum and who will be aware of SP2. What about the great unwashed who think SP2 is a new Ford car? I mentioned SP2 to a couple of guys at work who use XP and their question was "what's SP2?" they now know what it is!

Scaremongering could well be correct because people who visit the forum have read about the problems. In context though, you mostly only hear about the problems because people come to the forum to resolve them, so the truth about problems people are getting might be distorted somewhat by the forum, I'm not blaming the forum, because that's why it's here, to help. I dare say there are many who have had SP2 installed on their machine and not even been aware of it because its caused no problem.

I just want to add I haven't got an axe to grind one way or the other, I don't want XP, because I use a different O/S by personal choice.

end 22:09 19 Sep 04

I have win 98se here and am sticking with it for as long as possible;;it works and aint broke so...

I had the same opinion as yourself, but when I did finally upgrade I wished I had done it much earlier.

Just to add to your statistics on successful/unsuccessful installations, I downloaded SP2 from Msft's web site and installed it only to find my Dell Dimension 8200 machine locked up. Using the XP system disk I tried to uninstall SP2 as per the instructions on Msft's website which I'd printed off prior to the installation just to be safe. It rolled back the upgrade but my modem would no longer work and my system was very slow. The device manager and modem diagnostic programs told me all was fine but when I tried to run IE I got an error telling me I didn't have a modem installed. I tried Msft's special SP2 helpdesk who helpfully told me it was outside their area of expertise???? Dell's helpdesk in comparison were excellent and worked with me to try to reconfigure the modem. Eventually though the only solution was to reinstall XP from scratch. I also installed SP2, this time from the cover disk with PC Advisor and found everything worked fine.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Surface PC live stream | Surface PC release date, price, spec rumours: All-in-one…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

Apple's event invitations decoded: A look back at 16 of Apple's most cryptic invites | Clues in…