A new dog for every smell?

WhiteTruckMan 09:54 14 May 06

Having just read this PCA article

click here

I was just wondering if they (whoever 'they' are) retrain a drug sniffer for this work, or if they train a new dog for this one item. makes me wonder if some ports will have whole packs of dogs being led around sniffing for drugs, explosives, and now dvd's.

I pity the poor animal that might have to sniff out illegal immigrants. Having to sniff out sweaty unwashed people is not my idea of a fun day at the office :)

WTM

BTW I did check the date on the article and it isnt 1st april

jakimo 10:31 14 May 06

There is plenty of "sweaty unwashed people" around who are not illegal immigrants,I know as I sit among them on the bus every day

WhiteTruckMan 10:41 14 May 06

"There is plenty of "sweaty unwashed people" around who are not illegal immigrants"

My point exactly.

WTM

Forum Editor 10:44 14 May 06

individual scents, and these dogs will have been specifically trained for the chemicals used in DVD manufacture.

I've watched dogs running all over stacks of bags in Thai airports, it's a very impressive sight.

WhiteTruckMan 11:05 14 May 06

is if one dog will be trained for all (most?) things to snif for, or is the training for that too complex?

WTM

Totally-braindead 12:02 14 May 06

Here where I live, Forfar we had a little accident with the sniffer dogs a fortnight ago.

As part of a training exercise a police officer hid a dozen or so packages of drugs around a housing scheme so the dogs could do their thing and find them. Unfortunatly when they ended the exercise they discovered one of the packages was missing, someone had nicked it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…