New Degree Providers

morddwyd 10:05 29 Jun 11

According to the FT (can't find a link I'm afraid) a plan to allow new providers of degree courses will push up standards.

I seem to recall the same argument when polytechnics were re-classed as unis.

It didn't happen.

All that happened was that degrees themselves, no matter how hard earned, were degraded overall simply because there were (are) so many of them.

I remember when I was job hunting - "Train as a bus driver - £20k)", and "Graduate wanted - £12k".

spider9 10:13 29 Jun 11

BBC Newsnight last night had a discussion about a 'new provider' and it seemed to be a course that operated two days a week, so that the students could get a decent part-time job to pay for it, on the other days.

There were also no 'campus' activities (clubs, societies etc) but the fees were comparatively low, about £4.5k I think.

The argument against seems to be the lack of a proper 'university experience', which was always considered an essential part of the 'rounded education' provided by traditional establishments.

But cash has to be king, nowadays, I suppose.

wiz-king 12:50 29 Jun 11

Now they just need to call it 'The open university' and we will be back to square one.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Here's what should be coming to Adobe Project Felix in 2017

Apple AirPods review: Apple's beautiful new Bluetooth headphones bring true intelligence to…