New Coins

Woolwell 16:40 PM 17 Jan 12

There was a thread about this in 2010 (now locked) but the new steel coins are apparently being introduced this month. Stand by for snags and pockets full of coins that will not work New Coins

spuds 16:48 PM 17 Jan 12

We went all through the 'not working' in vending and parking machines, plus other devices a few years back. When that happened, it cost the industry quite a lot of money in scrapping or doing modifications to the machines, which of course, was passed onto the consumer.

Perhaps now time to consider payments by debit or credit card only (with a surcharge perhaps)?.

finerty 19:27 PM 20 Jan 12

if they already charged us they will over charge us again. especially during the olypics

robgf 19:55 PM 20 Jan 12

Wont they go rusty when it rains???

Chegs ®™ 07:57 AM 25 Jan 12

My maths is not that good,but saving the Treasury 7-8 million per year will cost industry and local councils around £80m over two years.So 10yrs before the saving starts to pay for itself?

wiz-king 08:51 AM 25 Jan 12

robgf I don't usually get rain in my pockets!

Brumas 09:16 AM 25 Jan 12

wiz-king, I was going to make a remark about wearing drainpipe trousers and pumps but I won't bother ;o}}

Aitchbee 09:30 AM 25 Jan 12

...the magnetic properties of the new coins (ie attracted to magnets), will facilitate the robbing of 'piggy-banks'...extra vigilence is required!

interzone55 09:43 AM 25 Jan 12

There's a fantastic example of how the Daily Mail likes to twist things in the paper yesterday.

Steel yourselves for the smaller new 5p and 10p that will save Treasury £8million a year rants the headline

Then you read the story - the coins are the same diameter, and the same weight, but 11% THICKER as steel is lighter than the cupro-nickel currently used.

Nowhere in the article does it explain just how this makes the coins smaller...

Forum Editor 19:10 PM 25 Jan 12

The criteria followed by the Royal Mint for all new coins are that they must be:-

strong but not brittle

corrosion proof in normal use

incapable of carrying germs

able to be recycled

convenient to carry

Condom 19:34 PM 25 Jan 12

I wonder why they don't carry the "incapable of carry germs" element on to paper money where it is the more likely to happen?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Toshiba dynaPad release date, price and specs: Another Surface Pro 4 rival with Windows 10

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Google Maps for web gets a Material Design-inspired makeover

New Apple TV 2015 release date and UK price: buy from Apple in late October, in store in November