New car - petrol vs. diesel?

Number six 23:42 26 May 10

I am thinking of replacing my 7-year old petrol-powered VW passat with a nearly-new model later this year. A quick trawl through the likes of Autotrader, Exchange and Mart has revealed a rather curious fact: out of three or four hundred examples, I found only about five petrol versions - as rare as hen's teeth. Why are petrol Passats apparently so unpopular?Having never owned a diesel powered car, I am rather wary of making the change. Are diesels really that good? Or are manufacturers pushing people buy diesel models? What differences would I notice? - My concerns are regarding noise, vibration, fumes, servicing and maintenance costs.

mole44 04:53 27 May 10

i`ve just bought at a dicount a Ford Fiesta Titanium 1.4 Diesel (My son works for Ford as an senior analyst),anyway it does 55mpg urban and 68mpg motorway.the road tax is £35 dropping to £20 this year,so for me it was no contest not to get a diesel.The only downside is you`ll need to get a box of latex gloves to use when you refuel the ones supplied if fuel stations still leave the residual smell of diesel on your hands.Oh this is my first diesel car by the way,as you can see from the mpg diesel will sure cut your fuel bill,it did mine.25-40% more mpg means 25-40% from your fuel bills.

Noldi 06:16 27 May 10

It all depends on exactly what you are thinking of engine size and turbo or non turbo. A modern 2L turbo diesel car is more that 150 hp so not exactly slow. But the power range is a lot smaller than a petrol car its from around 1500 rpm – 4500 rpm. The newer diesels with these efficient dynamics etc are giving more than 45mpg with a reasonable amount of power, no waiting for the pre heat on start up. All cars now have quite long service intervals so I would have thought servicing is not a big difference. I save about 50% on fuel cost but then that was compared to a 3L petrol car and loose about 40hp.

Noldi

the hick 06:45 27 May 10

I use a Fiesta diesel from the works fleet, and I find it a lttle rough, not as smooth as my '92 Pug. 106 petrol, for example. I think whether or not a diesel is worthwhile depends on your annual mileage, as they usually cost more than petrol cars. Also, I believe some VW diesels (and Audi, Skoda) have had trouble with dual-mass flywheels. I intend to stay with petrol!

Quickbeam 08:09 27 May 10

"But the power range is a lot smaller than a petrol car"
But the torque range is massively huge compared to a petrol engine. This means that if you drive it in the higher gears between 1200/1800rpm, that is where the economy comes from. If you drive it like a petrol engine, with the revs buzzing freely in the 2500/4000rpm range it'll go well as the turbo will give you the higher bhp, but you won't get the economy you might expect if you don't drive a diesel as they're intended to be driven.

morddwyd 08:32 27 May 10

To me the main downside of a diesel, even with modern design, is that after a while they sound, and smell, like a bus when they're ticking over.

Having said, I was once given a lift in a BMW Series 7.

I was absolutely amazed when the driver pulled up to refuel it from a diesel pump.

Now if I could afford one of those.............!

jack 08:50 27 May 10

Petrol[01 Rover 25-1400] to Diesel[04 Renault Modus 1500 ]

So far so good, better fuel economy,car tax halved, a bit more oomph,in the low end
No noticeable diesel smell so far and so, far not managed for spill fuel[ only second refuel since getting the car on April 1st] - this Monday past] after two long trips over the weekend.
So go for it if you feel your use of the vehicle v/v fuel/car tax and other savings stack up for you.
Our use of vehicles is so individual that , you can be the only judge.

johndrew 10:18 27 May 10

Diesel models generally cost more than petrol when new, logically this will follow through on used vehicles.

With modern technology fuel consumption of petrol models is improving and fuel prices are now very similar as opposed to some years ago.

Servicing costs for both types are similar.

Road Fund costs may be lower for diesels depending on emissions.

Torque is higher at lower RPM in diesels so better for towing - if you do.

Acceleration in petrol models is generally better than equivalent diesels.

Noise and comfort again are similar.

Makes choice a bit difficult but almost totally cost/value based.

Woolwell 10:40 27 May 10

Be aware of possible problems with diesel particulate filters click here. If you are doing short runs stick to petrol.

I find Honest John click here contains good reviews.

birdface 10:54 27 May 10

I used to drive a diesel van which was ok but the acceleration for overtaking was fairly poor.
Broke down once and got TDI Vauxhall diesel van replacement to use and what a difference.
If going for Diesel I would recommend going for the Turbo Direct injection model it is a massive difference when driving especially when overtaking.
Insurance was just the same as my previous van and fuel consumption was better at least in my opinion it was.

birdface 11:12 27 May 10

I used to get my vans from Motorpoint in Derby that was the nearest one for me.
I could always get one about £3,000 to £4,000 cheaper than in local garages.
It is always better to shop around for the best bargains.

click here(S(doegkm45azmea3bdpgsdis55))/Default.aspx

Worth a look to see if you can get what you are looking for at a more reasonable price.
I will point out apart from buying Vans at Motorpoint I have no connection with them and could always get one at the right price.
I would also point out that I always bought new vans and not second hand so cannot comment on that side of the business.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Hands-on: Samsung Galaxy S8 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Samsung's beautifully designed Galaxy S8 makes for better VR experiences too

47 iPhone camera tips to help you take better photos