New BBC News website

simonjary 16:30 31 Mar 08

click here

The BBC has redesigned its website, making it wider and whiter. What do you think of the changes?

The reader comments at th Editor's blog also make interesting reading - it seems most people are irate about the Weather link being removed.

click here

anskyber 16:33 31 Mar 08

The customisable home page has been like that for several months but they have extended it to the main sub pages (news, sport) but not beyond that yet (eg football, cycling).

I like it apart from the extended scroll required to go from top to bottom.

anskyber 16:34 31 Mar 08

The weather link is on the home page.

simonjary 16:45 31 Mar 08

The BBC has clearly listened to the weather fanatics!

pchelper001 16:46 31 Mar 08

to be honest, i preferred the news page the way it was, but i will have to get used to new!

Bingalau 16:46 31 Mar 08

anskyber. If you right click on the scroll bar and then choose whether you want top bottom or elsewhere. It will probably take you there. It works on this page so it may work on the BBC page. I will now go and give it a try....

Earthsea 16:57 31 Mar 08

I like it, and look forward to all the changes being implemented. Increasing the width is a good idea and would like this site to follow suite which would save the amount of scrolling.

Comment 3 on the Editor's blog says 'Where is the link to the Weather?!? We're British! That should be front and centre!'

Er, it is, and has been for a while.

anskyber 17:08 31 Mar 08

Ah ha!

If you look about half way down the News page ( no not the home page) and at the red banner click show, put in your postcode and up comes the weather on that page too. For those who want it.

Forum Editor 17:57 31 Mar 08

is a work in progress - it will change over the coming days and weeks.

Personally, I love it; it's a fine example of what really good web designers can do, given the time and the money. I'm one of those people who advocate 'open' looking sites with white, or very pale backgrounds, so I'm bound to like the new look.

Mr Mistoffelees 18:06 31 Mar 08

I like it too, the old layout was looking a bit long in the tooth.

HighTower 18:17 31 Mar 08

I've began to build wider sites now. I figured that now was the time as there surely can't be that many people out there still viewing at 800x600 can there?

And I LOVE the clock in the top right corner!

It all looks quite 'Apple' to me mind!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Framestore’s haunting post-WWII title sequence for new BBC series SS-GB

How to install MacOS Sierra on an older Mac: Get Sierra running on Macs & MacBooks from before 2009