New bank holiday, for what or why

Blackhat 00:31 27 Dec 07

We seem to be lacking in bank holidays compared to the rest of Europe. Do we need any more?

click here

If so what would be the subject? Gordon brown suggests community heroes.

The CBI warns of the costs but other coutries seem to manage!

Forum Editor 00:40 27 Dec 07

a 'getting used to being back at work after a public holiday' bank holiday?

Or one after general elections 'to get used to the new government'?

Being serious, I suppose it might be an idea to have another one between New year and Easter, and then between August and Christmas, but as we aren't a predominantly Catholic country it's hard to think of reasons - not enough saints.

Six bank holidays isn't bad, I suppose (Christmas and New year aren't technically bank holidays - they're called common law holidays).

Blackhat 00:48 27 Dec 07

I was thinking along a more patriotic theme, such as an English culture/heritage day. No doubt it wouldn’t get passed the PC brigade though.

Forum Editor 01:33 27 Dec 07

all our current bank holidays celebrate English heritage, don't they? Four of them (at least I think it's four) date back to the late 1800s.

If there's going to be another public holiday it's probably better that it celebrates something that can be appreciated by everyone, rather than anything specific to one sector of society. What about a Magana Carta day? Magna Carta was a crucial turning point in English history, because for the first time a document signed by the monarch confirmed (or strongly hinted)that the rights of individuals and communities must be observed by the monarch.

Everyone, regardless of religious or cultural differences, can recognise the importance of such an event in the evolution of a democatic society, so my vote goes to 'Magna Carta day'.

Magna Carta was sealed by King John on 19th June, so we could have another summer bank holiday.

egapup 08:23 27 Dec 07

How about one on rememberance day to honour all our past and present heroes.

Sapins 09:39 27 Dec 07

What about a European Union day?

laurie53 09:52 27 Dec 07

In many countries on the mainland Ascension Day is a Public holiday.

I know that in Scotland there is quite a lobby to get St Andrew's day declared a Bank Holiday.

Taff™ 10:03 27 Dec 07

I notice the survey was conducted by Thomas Cook and they have started a petition.... No vested interest or PR machine rolling there then!

I`d like to know what the average UK company holiday allowances are compared to these other countries. (Excluding Bank Holidays) I suspect it to be about 22 working days which means that with Bank Holidays the majority of the UK working population get about a month and a half off a year already.

My point being that I`d rather choose when to have a holiday. I suspect the CBI would support this view because at least personal holidays can be staggered and the Wheels of Industry continue to turn rather than grind to a halt.

"Compulsory" Bank Holidays (That`s a joke when you consider how many people were working on Boxng Day) result in numerous overtime rates or additional time off in lieu, both of which we end up paying for, one way or the other. I also feel sorry for those whose contracts of employment force them to work on these days with no real compensatory benefits. (Remember the Keep Sunday Special campaigns?)

Legolas 10:17 27 Dec 07

I don't think we need a reason do we? The fact that in the UK we work longer hours and have less holidays than most of the rest of Europe is reason enough. The more the merrier.

Pamy 13:02 27 Dec 07

Well, as a none working pensioner I do not know how to fit in another day. 365 seams to be the max.

Stuartli 13:21 27 Dec 07

I can't see MPs being too worried about voting for an extra bank holiday - they already get far more holidays than the rest of the population, including three months in the summer...:-)

UK Ltd seems to function just as well during their absence.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 benchmarks: Antutu, Geekbench 4, GFXBench and PCMark results

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This animated short film tells a moving story of domestic violence for Refuge

New iPad 2017 preview: Apple's affordable but underspecced new iPad may appeal to the education…