Neighbour's Tree fallen.

john bunyan 16:52 07 May 12
Answered

My 94 year old widow neighbour has a 2 acre field which partly surrounds my garden in a L shape. She lives alone, frugally,in an old bungalow. A massive Wellintonia Cedar (about 250 years old) is in her field, and is listed and shown on OS maps. A couple of weeks ago in a storm, it completely collapsed – it turned out to be slightly hollow, and part of the 9 ft diameter trunk had rotted near the base. Her insurance say they will not pat any of the £1500 cost of removing the debris ( over 40 tonnes) . The quote is very cheap as it includes 4 men for 5 days with up to 6ft chainsaws and big chippers.As there was no damage to buildings the insurers will not consider paying. She has no money of this kind. Can anyone suggest any source that may help – Help the Aged etc? I suggested she talks to CAB. She is housebound and a bit deaf, but very sharp of mind. She has relatives, and I know she would not welcome my interference, but the huge amount of debris next to my fence is a real eyesore. Suggestions would be welcome. NB Worth checking own insurance - not covered unless damage to buildings?

john bunyan 16:54 07 May 12

Should be in Speakers Corner? Grateful if FE could move it.

Forum Editor 17:12 07 May 12

Moved to Speakers Corner from Helproom.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:12 07 May 12

Advertise it as free firewood - Buyers to collect :0)

Forum Editor 17:17 07 May 12

Cedar- wood, if it's at all decent, has a value. It's ideal for outdoor furniture, and of course as shingles for roofing and external cladding.

It might be worth talking to a sawmill.

john bunyan 17:25 07 May 12

Have tried those suggestions. This is a mountain of debris, - over 40 tonnes and mostly completely shattered. An oak similarly fell last year and no sawmill was interested as it was quite hollow. Circumference over 25 ft in places but snapped like matchwood. I think some charitable route is the only option. Trouble is it is in a field, not a garden. I checked with my own insurance, and they would only pay if a tree damaged property- thought this was worth pointing out.

BT 17:28 07 May 12

Big Bonfire party on Guy Fawkes day ;o))

wiz-king 17:31 07 May 12

Local tree surgeons may take it away and sell it for rirewood if they can cut it up piecemeal in there own time - wont be a quick fix but will get rid of it over the summer.

john bunyan 17:37 07 May 12

Wiz-king. The quote includes that. The sheer volume is unbelievable - the tree was massive, over 100 ft tall. Demand for firewood here quite limited; when I had a tree taken down last year there were few takers, even for give away stuff. Even the chippings are a problem; local menages want then delivered.

HondaMan 17:48 07 May 12

Can you pm me your location. I know several people who would willingly take it away and may even pay her for the privilege!

Woolwell 17:50 07 May 12

It isn't on your property and although an eyesore I suspect that she could leave it there to rot and/or provide a refuge for wildlife and I regret to say that is what may well happen if she cannot pay for it to be removed.

See if there is a wood turning club around.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Prehistoric Britain is laid out in these Royal Mail stamp illustrations

Best running headphones | Best sport & fitness headphones: 4 brilliant pairs of wireless…