The need for complex Passwords

wee eddie 08:08 26 Jun 14

Firstly: I understand that, if a hacker already has your Password, he/she is into your Account without a problem.

However, what I don't understand is.

Why the need for a Complex Password?

They say that the Hacker's Computer can try billions of Passwords until it alights on yours and then it can access your PC.

Excuse me, but am I being too simplistic in suggesting a limit to the number of attempts at a Password. Would not that particular Hacking problem go away if the Account was locked after 10 attempts and then simply unlocked 1 hour later. No need for any complicated procedure or new Password.

Just lock the Account for an hour, or maybe two, and then re-open it with the same Password.

Forum Editor 08:20 26 Jun 14

"Excuse me, but am I being too simplistic in suggesting a limit to the number of attempts at a Password."

No, you're not, and in Windows 7 and 8 you can already do just that.

Quickbeam 08:31 26 Jun 14

I never knew that, and I bet most don't either!

carver 08:42 26 Jun 14

I've got a Samsung phone and after 3 attempts at the password the phone is locked for 5 minutes but I didn't know you could do the same with Windows 7, so thanks F.E for that bit of info.

wee eddie 09:50 26 Jun 14

Why not eBay, Amazon et cetera then.

They would, effectively, become unhackable by that technique

Woolwell 18:52 26 Jun 14

Interesting US site consumer eagle

VCR97 19:03 26 Jun 14

Won't work below Win 7 Professional.

Secret-Squirrel 19:48 26 Jun 14

"They say that the Hacker's Computer can try billions of Passwords until it alights on yours and then it can access your PC."

Yes, that's true but the hacker will have a very long wait to crack a complex password. According to this site, one of the passwords I use (which is just eleven characters and easy for me to remember) would take a desktop PC four thousand years to crack.

Until websites and and other online services roll-out Eddie's suggestion of limiting the number of password attempts the best thing we can do is to use a strong password.

By the way, as mentioned by VCR, FE's suggestion won't work on anything below the Pro versions of Windows.

bumpkin 20:54 26 Jun 14

Secret Squirrel, ref the site you have linked to, if I enter my password then it will not take them four thousand years to find it out. Maybe I am missing something here but a site that asks for your password in order to check its security seems to be somewhat suspect to me.

Secret-Squirrel 21:03 26 Jun 14

Bumpkin, all that website knows is that you've entered a password. It doesn't know who you are, your email address or username, or where that password may be used.

Of course, you don't have to enter any real passwords but it does help in giving you an idea of how long it would take to crack one similar to ones you may use regularly.

bumpkin 21:03 26 Jun 14

Interesting to play with though. Got results of less than a second on some made up entries.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

Where HTML5 is headed next

MacBook Pro v Surface Pro 5