Natural Wastage

morddwyd 10:56 13 May 11

I've just fished a young Blackbird out of my garden pond (dead).

I know it's nature, but when I think of all the effort the parent birds put into building, feeding and fledging.

No doubt the hen is already sitting on fresh eggs (Blackbirds are double, and even triple, brooded), but I still think it's sad.

spuds 13:06 13 May 11

A couple of years ago, we had an adult blue tit and young laying dead on the ground below one of the bird boxes that we have. No signs of how the deaths occurred, so we contacted the RSPB for advice. They didn't really know the answer, but suggested that it might have been an house sparrow that had some how managed to have gotten into the box. In reality it still remains a mystery today.

One thing in our favour, that particular 'blue tit' box was used prior to the event and as been used afterwards. We now have blue tits in residence at this moment.

We tend to find that our garden pond attracts snails and mice, and due to the steep vertical banks, they don't survive to well. We have put a stepped piece of wood into the pond, and this might have been a lifesaver for some?.

Quickbeam 13:11 13 May 11

Life's a bitch. I ran over 3 ducks late at night a few weeks ago, not much you can do when they decide to cross when your less than 20 feet away...

spuds 13:43 13 May 11

Duck pate and tinned tomatoes? ;o)

Condom 15:33 13 May 11

As much as garden ponds are great I also had the same problem with the young bluetits in my box. It seems the pond might have been on their first flight path from the box and several were in the pond dead. I moved the box a few feet and it has not happened again. This year we appear to have great tits in the box which is a first, so either they are getting smaller or the hole in the box has got bigger. I can see several areas where some pecking has been going on but the actual hole doesn't look any bigger.

interzone55 15:39 13 May 11

I live by a small lake, we have two breeding pairs of mallard ducks living on the lake, with a couple of swans and a few coots and tufted ducks.

A month ago we had 9 fluffy little ducklings swimming around, there's now only two left. The rest being picked off by a heron and some gulls.

We also had three ghost carp swimming around, and now there's only one left, presumably the other two eaten by the heron at some point.

As Elton John said, it's the circle of life...

Quickbeam 15:56 13 May 11

6 weeks ago I had 3 big clumps of frogspawn, that hatched into hundreds of tadpoles. Within a week the tadpoles were whittled down to a few dozen courtesy of the fish finding them very tasty. I doubt that I'll get more than 2 or 3 make it to small frogs.

VCR97 19:46 13 May 11

Quickbeam

Some of the reduction will be due to cannibalism.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now