National Lottery Closed for Business?

Uboat 05:19 25 Nov 10

"We're very sorry, game play is currently closed on the site. Please try again later"

Twice in the last week ive tried to play online & twice ive seen this text.?

Granted it is now 05:15am & i am sure they have a website which can be used 24/7 so why is this?
this isnt good for them as a business & the fact that charities may be missing out on some finances..

Is it an update? do they not have the site running 24/7.?

Uboat 05:21 25 Nov 10

Ha i just found this:

click here

LOL i only play £5 per week

Quickbeam 07:41 25 Nov 10

I seem to remember reading somewhere that they don't run the site 24/7 to avoid people making rash multi purchases of tickets whist under the influence of an alcohol related state.

morddwyd 08:45 25 Nov 10

The site is not 24/7.

I think it opens around 7 and closes sometime between 10 and midnight.

interzone55 08:50 25 Nov 10

I can't access the lottery site from work, so can't check this out, but I think they only run the site until around 10pm to stop people playing when drunk, part of the gambleaware program I think.

Forum Editor 17:23 25 Nov 10

between the hours of 2:00am and 8:00am every day. The reason is that it allows for essential maintenance and updating to be done without the risk of interfering with transactions.

The site is very heavily used, and when you consider what might be at stake if an error occurred you can understand why the organisers need this time-out.

birdface 18:03 25 Nov 10

I got an e-mail in last Sunday saying they are changing their regular name to something else and never checked to see what it was.

birdface 08:31 26 Nov 10

Oops got that wrong.
Just changing the rules.

As well as being a UK or Isle of Man resident, to play National Lottery games online or by text you must be physically located in the UK or Isle of Man when buying a ticket.

If you play by Direct Debit, you must be physically located in the UK or Isle of Man when setting up your Direct Debit Account and also when making amendments to it, including buying additional tickets, or changing your numbers or payment details. As long as you only make these changes while you are physically located in the UK or Isle of Man, your tickets will be valid if you travel overseas.

If you do not meet these requirements, any ticket purchases you make will be invalid and no prizes paid, and we will have the right to reclaim any prizes already paid under these circumstances.

Uboat 18:39 26 Nov 10

Ok guys i forgot to reply to this thread, so here is their reply:

Dear Sir

Thank you for your email dated 25 November 2010.

In line with our commitment to maximise revenues to the Good Causes, Camelot, as the operator of the National Lottery, always endeavours to make the National Lottery website available as much as possible.

All draw-based games close promptly at 7.30pm on draw days and 11pm on non-draw days and re-open at 8am the following day. In the case of EuroMillions, the game re-opens at 9pm until 11pm each Friday, with any ticket purchased after the 7.30pm draw break being automatically entered into the draw for the following week. All game play, including Instant Win Games is suspended at 2am every day.

During periods when our website is unavailable, we carry out essential maintenance such as the processing of draw information and wins from all National Lottery draw-based games.

I am sure you will appreciate that there will also be some very rare occasions when the website – or parts of it – may be unavailable outside these hours, to allow us to carry out planned upgrades and improve the online playing experience for our players

I hope that this information has been helpful. However, if you have any other queries, please visit the Frequently Asked Questions section of our website by copying and pasting the following web address into your browser:

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Best Design, Illustration, Animation and VFX Awards of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced