National Insurance contributions

  ronalddonald 19:14 21 Jan 09

Today i recieved a bill from HM Revenue & Customs for class 2 contributions. Im no longer self employed but i am a full time dad taking care of my own children, do i have to still pay these contributions. i declared this my last tax return year ended 5 April 2008.

  tullie 19:16 21 Jan 09


  robgf 19:18 21 Jan 09

Give HM Revenue & Customs a ring and ask, I've always found them to be very helpful. They take ages to do anything, but they are very helpful.

  oresome 19:20 21 Jan 09

I think you're best getting advise direct from the tax people.

Your future pension entitlement rests on having sufficient NI contributions. If you are full time caring for children, you may well be entitled to some NI credits.

  Forum Editor 19:27 21 Jan 09

are only payable if you are self employed. If you are no longer employed you may want to make voluntary Class 3 contributions, but if you have already achieved entitlement to a full basic state pension you are not allowed to make class 3 payments.

To be honest it's a complicated subject, and your best course of action would be to phone MM Revenue and Customs - they'll tell you.

  Grey Goo 21:47 21 Jan 09

May be arrears to make a "Qualifying Year" up. Usually some explanation in the letter. Probably best to contact them as has been advised.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…