A national anthem worth singing…..

Brumas 10:58 26 Nov 06

Picking up on a throwaway comment made by Jim Thing in the “It only needs two words” post started by Sapins.

What a good idea to have a national anthem you could sing with gusto and feel proud about.

A serious nomination would be Land of Hope and Glory and the not so serious would be, of course, SONG OF PATRIOTIC PREJUDICE.

Forum Editor 11:17 26 Nov 06

and remember that whilst patriotism is a laudable and uplifting thing, nationalism is precisely the opposite. It has been responsible for some of the world's greatest human tradegies, and we'll have none of it here.

I'll delete any post that even hints at promoting nationalism.

octal 11:40 26 Nov 06

I don't know, most of the football and rugby crowds seemed to sing the anthem with great gusto, they even sing it when not prompted.

Brumas 12:40 26 Nov 06

On hindsight, I should have stipulated that the anthem could be sang in unison by all Great Britons.

The 'not so serious choice' I mentioned was obviously not meant to be taken seriously ;o)

Forum Editor 13:02 26 Nov 06

I know that, and my comments weren't aimed at you, they were intended as a reminder for those who might contribute to the thread.

I tend to agree with you that we could do with an anthem that glorifies our country, and the hopes and aspirations of all the people in it, rather than dealing with one specific person, as it does at present.

lisa02 13:09 26 Nov 06

No, don't change it.

Well end up with some bastardized thing like savva nuvva.

WhiteTruckMan 13:20 26 Nov 06

'Land of hope and glory'

WTM

rodriguez 13:22 26 Nov 06

I'd change it to Always Look On The Bright Side Of Life by Monty Python. Don't know why - it'd just be fun because it's a good song. :-D

WhiteTruckMan 14:13 26 Nov 06

You may just have somethin there!
:-D

WTM

Miké 15:52 26 Nov 06

You mean like this click here from the antipodes. Much more lively than the UK dirge (I say this as someone who has dual Australian - UK citizenship).

DANZIG 15:59 26 Nov 06

I Predict a Riot........????

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

LG G6 review: Hands-on with LG’s bold, big-screen shot at perfection

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the 2017 Oscar-winning VFX of The Jungle Book were created

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…