My Word - some right characters appearing for me

TopCat® 17:37 PM 30 Jun 11
Answered

Can anyone please explain the use of the letter A, with a caret ^ on top, just before the £ sign as in: A^£17,000? I notice this 'trend' is occuring fairly frequently now, especially on some of the online BBC story links.

Do I need to 'get some more in' at a modern maths institute or what? Ta very much for resolving my curiosity - I will sleep much better now, I hope. :o) TC.

OTT_B 18:33 PM 30 Jun 11

It's a character in the data set relating to the £ sign - arguably the cause of a poorly written website!

OTT_B 18:33 PM 30 Jun 11
Answer

Not a good word to miss out.....

It's a character ERROR in the data set relating to the £ sign - arguably the cause of a poorly written website!

HondaMan 14:31 PM 05 Jul 11

arguably the cause of a poorly written website!

Surely the result of one, not the cause

zzzz999 05:52 AM 06 Jul 11

so it doesn't mean approximately?

interzone55 09:50 AM 06 Jul 11

Rick'scafe

This is the symbol for approximately ~

The A^£ in web pages is generally down to the web server using the wrong character encoding set, you used to find a lot of pages that had #20 instead of £20, this was generally down to the PC still being set to US English keyboard layout, the # symbol being shift+3 on US keyboards...

zzzz999 11:33 AM 06 Jul 11

Cheers

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get free stuff for Android: Amazon Underground offers genuinely free Android apps and free…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

MIT builds an awesome 3D printer that can use 10 materials at once

What to expect at the September Apple event: Apple announces 9 September event, sends out invites