My sincerest apologies

Legolas 18:18 21 Jun 06

I have just heard of the Father and son in Edinburgh and the man in Aberdeen who were assaulted because they were wearing England shirts. As a Scot I am disgusted by this and want to offer on behalf of all right-minded Scots my most sincere apologies, once again a minority of mindless thugs have put Scotland in a bad light. I will be cheering England on in there next game against Equodor.

AngeTheHippy 18:23 21 Jun 06

sadly, there are mindless thugs in all corners of the world; Football and football-related situations just seems to bring out the worst in some people, more than any other sport I think. I haven't seen the news this evening yet.

AngeTheHippy
xx

octal 18:34 21 Jun 06

That's a nice thought Legolas, but I don't think you've got anything to apologise about. Every nation has its fair share of bullies and thugs, none more so than the English, if we started apologising for all or IQ0's it would be a very long thread indeed, enjoy the match and thanks for your support.

Forum Editor 19:54 21 Jun 06

live everywhere Legolas, and although your sentiments are undoubtedly appreciated it isn't necessary for you to apologise.

In one of the incidents a grown man punched a seven year old boy in an Edinburgh park because he (the boy) was wearing an England football shirt. There's very little one can say about someone who would do that kind of thing.

justme 19:59 21 Jun 06

As a fellow Scot I agree with most of your sentiments and wish the victims of these attacks a speedy recovery, and I hope that they will realise that not all the people from Scotland think like that.

I will not however be supporting England (or any other nation) as football has long been debased with pulling of shirts,'professional' fouls and general using of the arms to prevent the opposition getting near the ball. Footballsers, it seems, have forgotten that the main aim of the game is to use their feet to control the ball.

bluto1 20:28 21 Jun 06

In the late 50`s and then the early 70`s I was stationed in Scotland (RAF) and I knew of the antipathy some Scots have towards the English. OK, I thought, but only when I read your post have I seen that transferred to actual violence.
I`ve a huge spot of my heart for Scotland and ,like you, I`m ashamed of what has gone down.
Thanks for your post mate.

DieSse 20:37 21 Jun 06

I don't agree that it shows Scotland in a bad light, and you've no need to apologise.

It shows the people who did this in a bad light, them and only them.

Personal responsibility is what it should be about, not some kind of imaginary collective guilt.

Jimmy14 22:01 21 Jun 06

I live in Scotland and its just a minority of people who cannot behave that carry out callous acts such as the ones in the news. They do give a bad name to Scotland but their not even worth talking about. You always get some people that are this way but never mind them, their scum.

Kev.Ifty 00:11 22 Jun 06

We have our own fair share of scumbags here in England, prepared to attack people for the least excuse. Football is just one of many of them..

I would like to see all four British teams and Eire taking part. I would be behind each one of them.

Which team I would support when they came to play each other would be a difficult one. My Mother is from Dublin, I have some good Welsh friends and enjoyed some great holidays there. I am partial to a drop of the ole Golden Liquid (either spelling I'm not fussy! ) and have several friends from "North of the Border" Both Ireland and Scotland. So, erm, dont know.

As is I find I am only having to support two teams this time.

My Wife Is Dutch. So it's "COME ON ENGLAND" one day and "ORANJE BOVEN" the next.

What will happen if they do meet in the competition?

Well, I will be cheering for England.... I can go without for a couple of weeks ;-)

Thought you may find the responses to this story of interest.

click here

Best wishes Kev.

mammak 10:56 22 Jun 06

Sadly this kind of thing happens all over the country regardless of nationality,

I remmember my partner shouting abuse at the tv whiles watching an old firm game and my wee girl only five at the time saying daddy calm down it's only a game says it all really.

spuds 11:36 22 Jun 06

It doesn't matter what country that you live in or support. There will always be the set of people who result to violence if things do not go the way they think.No amount of apologies will stop that sort of behavior.

Perhaps if 'the system' would work in favour of the victim's,then some headway of preventing these mindless acts would prevail. Let the people who perform these cowardly deeds, make full recompense to their victim's and society. Name and Shame in the highest form, if necessary.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…