My new 1Mb broadband connection

CurlyWhirly 23:02 13 Sep 04

I have just got back from work and I was pleasantly surprised that my 1 mb (upgrade from 512 kb) connection is working fine with NO problems.
I was a bit surprised at this as when I put my order in I was told that "due to to your telephone's length an engineer may have to call to deliver the service"

Just one final point, I have run the Speed test at the ADSL guide website and it comes up with 926 kb/s out of a possible 1 mb meaning I have around 74 kb taken up by overheads. Is this about right for a 1 mb service?
When I had the 512 kb only around 30 kb was taken up by overheads so as your download speed increases does your overhead also go up?
Just curious.
CW

bertiecharlie 23:27 13 Sep 04

Curly Whirly.

Upgraded, like yourself, to IGB with AOL today. Just took your test. Downstream 903 Kbps (112.9 KB/sec) 975 Kbps (inc. overheads). Upstream 233 Kbps (29.1 KB/sec) 251 Kbps (inc. overheads).

I don't know anything about overheads apart from the fact I seem to have a lot of them.

CurlyWhirly 23:32 13 Sep 04

In my opinion Platinum is worth £5 a month more for double the speed, that's the reason why I upgraded.
What do you mean by your quote "I don't know anything about overheads apart from the fact I seem to have a lot of them."

Is it a joke? Please excuse me as I am a bit slow!
CW

bertiecharlie 23:42 13 Sep 04

Curly Whirly.

Yes, a joke on my part. (Don't worry, its not unusual for me to have to explain my jokes.)

And, yes, its definitely worth giving it a shot for the extra £5 per month. I know opinion is divided about the merits of upgrading from 512KB but until you try it, you never know.

CurlyWhirly 23:48 13 Sep 04

No probs - nice to see someone with a sense of humour!
Yes upgrading IS worth it as if you don't like it you can always cancel within the '7 day cooling off period'.
I was surprised that my connection is stable as when I signed up I was told that "as my telephone line is long I may need a BT engineer to call to deliver the service"!

I will definently NOT go back to 512 kb as I am happy with my faster connection.
CW

CurlyWhirly 10:55 14 Sep 04

By the way when you are on the AOL main page does it still say 'AOL Broadband Gold'?
It says this on mine, I would have thought that they would have changed this to Platinum!
Not to worry.
CW

bertiecharlie 22:57 14 Sep 04

CW.

Yes, it still says Gold on mine. (Maybe have to wait for the cooling off period to expire before it changes.)

Sapins 09:02 15 Sep 04

Hi CurlyWhirly,

Glad to see you have got your upgrade, I have 1.2MB and I have just received an offer from cegetel for 4.8MB for less than I'm paying for that, I'm as sick as the proverbial, I'm signed up to Wanadoo for the next year :-(

Still,that's life, enjoy your faster speed.

Regards,

Sapins.

CurlyWhirly 12:27 15 Sep 04

Thanks. I did ask at 'Live help' and it is right what you said that until the '7 day cooling off period' is over you are not officially classed as a Platinum member.
This is because you still have the right to cancel during this time as you probably know!
I will not be cancelling that's for sure!
CW

CurlyWhirly 12:30 15 Sep 04

Sorry to hear that you have been tied into a 12 month contract with a better deal now emerging.
To be honest though would you really want a 4.8 mb connection speed as IMHO it is overkill.
Just an observation!
CW

Queen's Lead 20:20 15 Sep 04

What do we do with all the time we save . . . huh?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…