My knee clicking syndrome?

Blackhat 17:11 24 Sep 10

I am not seeking medical advice and I am not suffering pain.

I am wondering if what I am experiencing is common or just my old rusty body?

Every time I start driving it takes about 30 uses of the clutch for a sensation of pressure to build up in my left knee, easily relieved by straightening my leg which creates a loud click from the joint. The weird part is that no matter how long my journey I won’t get that sensation again, it’s a one off each time I drive. Next journey same again, no difference if I have been out of the car for 5 minutes or 5 hours. I have had this for about 2 years now.

Forum Editor 17:26 24 Sep 10

are common, and usually nothing to worry about.

A clicking knee can be caused by a small amount of gas gas moving from your synovial joint capsule when you put the knee under tension. A fold in the synovial tissue in your knee (called a plica) can cause the click, but that is normally associated with some discomfort.

As long as you get no pain or swelling you almost certainly have no cause to worry, but if you're concerned you could always ask your GP to examine the knee.

Quickbeam 18:13 24 Sep 10

I have those same symptoms, and the same stretch is required to ease the discomfort. I glad that it's not just me deteriorating as I type.

But, "I have had this for about 2 years now.", I wouldn't make a habit of waiting two years before getting any ailments investigated.

Dragon_Heart 19:00 24 Sep 10

Do ( did ) your Mum and or Dad have similar problems ?

Ehlers-Danlos syndrome (EDS) (also known as "Cutis hyperelastica") is a group of inherited connective tissue disorders, caused by a defect in the synthesis of collagen (a protein in connective tissue). The collagen in connective tissue helps tissues to resist deformation (decreases its elasticity). In the skin, muscles, ligaments, blood vessels etc.

Joints are held together and in place by connective tissues & ligaments. The joints are surrounded by a thick, clear liquid called synovial fluid, . When you stretch or bend your eg finger to pop the knuckle, you are causing the bones of the joint to pull apart. As they do, the connective tissue capsule that surrounds the joint is stretched. By stretching this capsule, you increase its volume and with an increase in volume comes a decrease in pressure. So as the pressure of the synovial fluid drops, gases dissolved in the fluid become less soluble, forming bubbles through a process called cavitation. When the joint is stretched far enough, the pressure in the capsule drops so low that these bubbles burst, producing the pop that we associate with knuckle cracking.

If I were you get your GP to check it out.

sunnystaines 19:06 24 Sep 10

always had knees that click a lot never given it a second thought till i saw your post, click loudest when standing up from a chair.

Blackhat 19:16 24 Sep 10

Neither of my parents have joint problems, both in their eighties. As I stated before there is no pain associated with this, just a sensation.

Quickbeam, thanks, not just me then.

Forum Editor 23:23 24 Sep 10

Not by a long chalk. Almost every human being has or will experience the 'gas pop' I mentioned when synovial capsules are tensioned. It's almost always nothing to worry about, unless it's accompanied by pain.

Other animals experience the phenomenon. I once heard a loud click when my dog jumped up to go for a walk. She heard it, and jumped in surprise.

Strawballs 00:24 25 Sep 10

When I run up stairs between my ankles and knees I sound like someone walking over bubble wrap

Quickbeam 00:30 25 Sep 10

You have stairs between your ankles and knees...?

Forum Editor 00:31 25 Sep 10

The mind boggles. No chance of you sneaking up on anyone then?

rdave13 00:56 25 Sep 10

Best image of stairs,knees and ankles I could find; click here
Not what I'd imagined you'd thought of....

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

Where HTML5 is headed next

MacBook Pro v Surface Pro 5