My Guitar Progress

Bingalau 15:32 05 Feb 11

After buying my second hand guitar for the princely sum of £20 three weeks ago. I can now report that I have already had my money's worth out of it. I had bought one for my son also for another princely sum of £25. I think he has also had his money's worth too. When we get together we never stop laughing at our feeble attempts to play the damn things. Seriously we have both managed to get on to lessons at night school and though the teacher waffles on too much about theory (in my opinion), we have at least managed to learn three chords. Moving from one to the other is the difficult bit. But I know that perseverance is the answer as the guitarists on this forum have already told me.
There are far too many sites on the internet to choose one suitable for my liking though, so has anybody got a site that they can recommend to compliment my lessons at night school.

diy 16:42 05 Feb 11

Have a look here click here

it does look easy......

Forum Editor 17:27 05 Feb 11

on what kind of music you want to play.

To begin with you need to encourage yourself,and the way to do that is to learn how to make some pleasant sounds fairly quickly.

You can do that by learning some basic chords, and then playing around with them, experimenting with the guitar.

Chord changes usually baffle beginners to start with - most people find themselves thinking 'I'll never get how to move my left hand fingers into all those different positions'. You will, but it takes lots and lots of practice. You'll hit the wall, but keep going, and almost without realising it your fingers will begin to find the right positions automatically. They'll toughen up, too, so there'll be less pain.

click here for some really useful stuff to get you going.

NewestRoyWidd1 17:29 05 Feb 11

Well done,stick at it!Three chords though-does this mean that Status Quo should watch out?(ducking below the defences waiting for Quo fan's abuse lol)

rickf 17:32 05 Feb 11

Start with Blueberry Hill using Key of C. That is C, F, G7

mr simon 19:03 05 Feb 11

Chord changes are certainly a challenge when starting out. The only way to learn them is to practise, and they will just become second nature and you won't even have to think about them.

There are a number of good sites out there but click here for my favourite. This is also far and away the best site for guitar tab(lature) that there is without paying.

You will also be amazed at how many songs you will be able to play once you master the C, F, G and Em chords.

Bingalau 20:19 05 Feb 11

Thanks for the encouragement folks. I don't intend to give up easily that's a cert. At the same time I am not going to rush in to it too quickly. I already realise that getting from one chord to another is going to be difficult at first, but I will stick at it and then...yes, it will be a case of eat your heart out Status Quo.
FE I think I may possibly be aiming for country and western music. But if it is easier to have a go at a different kind of music then I might try that. But at present I am open to suggestions.
I haven't looked on the sites you have enclosed in your posts but will be doing so and marking them for future use.
I guess I should have started out earlier in life than this, but if it keeps my mind occupied I will be happy.
rickf. Blueberry Hill will suit me fine as I know the words and will be able to mumble along to it as well.
Once again, thanks to all of you and I will now investigate the sites you have already sent. That should keep me going for the rest of the night. I am trying to do about fifteen minutes to thirty minutes a day practising, as most people tell me that is enough as long as I continue with it.

Blackhat 23:16 05 Feb 11

I was self taught guitar from the age of 13, after learning the basic chords I came across a fantastic book, this was well before the age if the internet. It was called the Buskers fake book 1001 all time hit songs; it covers all music styles and helped me a great deal in advancing my repertoire. (It really does have 1001 songs from over 40 years with guitar chords and lyrics) I still have the book.

It is now over 35 years old, missing its spine and a few pages, but it is yours if you want it. Contact me via yellow envelope if you want me to send it on.

By the age of 16 I was playing in local clubs, went on to learning Banjo and Mandolin. I still play occasionally in a jazz band now ages 48 and must say that learning a musical instrument is a must for anyone, any age.

When I was in the Caribbean 20 years ago for my wedding I spent time with local musicians, joined in with a couple of bands but most noticeable was that everyone I talked to made out that they had either played with, went to school with or was related to Bob Marley? He was and still is a great musical hero of the Caribbean’s.

Being able to play a musical instrument crosses all barriers; I have travelled the world and found that music is universal. It has given me great pleasure in many countries to be able to join in with local people having fun who don’t share a common language other than music.

rickf 23:24 05 Feb 11

Bungalau, Just to add Elvis Presley's Wooden Heart is another one that is esay to play. Both Chords and rythym strumming are easy. Another is BYe Bye Love by the Everley Brothers. I learned the guitar through those playing those.

Forum Editor 23:34 05 Feb 11

for country and western music."

Contrary to what a lot of people think, Country music osn't the easiest as far as guitar beginners are concerned. There's a lot of finger picking involved, and that's definitely not something you want to be dealing with in the early stages.

Take a look at sites which give you the tabs for well-known songs, you'll find that many iconic songs are actually based on very simple chord changes. I'll say iy again - the secret is practice. Pick up your guitar and fiddle around whenever you get a chance - do it for at least an hour a day, more if possible, and you'll gradually find it getting easier.

Quickbeam 08:21 06 Feb 11

I got there about 6 months ago (I'm on bass) and it's certainly the point at which you could gladly walk away and throw your instrument into the canal as you wipe away the tears of frustration!

But my teacher guided me through it and we went over another false summit on the way up, there's lots of them on the way you know. I'll get there, eventually, although the only thing that I'm completely certain of, is that there isn't enough time in this lifetime to consider giving up the day job!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…