My First Spoof!

LastChip 11:18 07 Nov 04

Yesterday, I received my first spoof e-mail, allegedly from eBay.

It was, I have to say, very believable, suggesting my account had been compromised, but, being the suspicious chap I am, and knowing of the current wave of spoof attacks, I forwarded it to eBay for analysis.

The reply received today, confirmed my suspicions and indeed it was a spoof.

Look for a "from address";

[email protected]>

and a reply URL of;

http:// signin. ebay.com /aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll? OneTimePayment &ssPageName=h:h:sin:US

(I inserted the spaces, so you can see the URL) PLEASE. DO NOT attempt to contact this URL.

So, BE AWARE, BE GUARDED and tell all your friends about this unwelcome trend in computing.

Most would say, I am computer literate. Sadly, there are an awful lot of people that are not!

spuds 11:36 07 Nov 04
  Buchan 35 21:36 08 Nov 04

I"ve just had a cracker from Nigeria telling me I"d won about 2,000,000 US dollars. Needless to say when mention of my bank account came up it was consigned to the deep

Sethhaniel 11:27 09 Nov 04

£47 Million and as my surname matched the 'late owners' he's woild like to do a 60 / 40 split on his behalf...

Pull the other one its got a nigerian on..

Notice how its never a small amount thats stuck
like my grandmothers savings account has 10/- in from the 1950's and am willing to go halvers.
;)

Nellie2 17:38 09 Nov 04

phishing is getting to be a big problem. :(

May I recommend Spoofstick click here it is free and comes in IE or Firefox flavours.

LastChip 20:15 09 Nov 04

Not full proof, but a very good start and I've been using it for a while.

Like Nellie2, I do recommend it, particularly if you use your computer for anything related to finance.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…