Musty old jacket.

Blackhat 14:09 02 Dec 07

I have an old Irvin style flying jacket click here which has been in storage for 15 years and smells quite musty. I have noticed that they fetch £100+ on ebay so I thought I might try for some pocket money but it needs de-mustying.

I tried all my local dry cleaners and the average fee is £45. The jacket is actually quite clean it’s just the smell I want rid of. One cleaner did recommend spraying the inside (not the leather) with febreeze and hanging it out for a few days in the wind, I have tried that and it still smells.

Any tips or ideas please?

citadel 14:21 02 Dec 07

advertise it as having authentic smell.

Legolas 14:31 02 Dec 07

try mixing some lemon juice with water and wiping the jacket with the solution.I know that this can be used to freshen up a room from cigarette smoke or pet smells.

Sapins 15:38 02 Dec 07

You should turn it inside out and then hang it out for a while, in sunshine is best but it should work regardless.

mymate 19:56 02 Dec 07

I have a jacket the same as that hanging in my wardrobe !
To get rid of smells in smelly shoes they say use Bicarbonate of soda , i would sprinkle bicarbonate of soda on the inside of the jacket and leave over night . Make sure its not damp when you sprinkle . Shake it off in the morning or vacuum off.
Just off to ebay now and see how much mine is worth !

Quickbeam 14:39 03 Dec 07

I think 'mymate's' idea would work but to simplify it, use 'Shake n' Vac' carpet deodorizer...

Quickbeam 14:49 03 Dec 07

I can't believe that's not a made up word :)

Quickbeam 15:25 03 Dec 07

Just had a look on ebay, if you can't get rid of the smell it will make a nice warm bed for a cat or dog... or even a tortoise.

wee eddie 15:31 03 Dec 07

that 2nd hand Car Dealers use to make their products smell Leathery. Or even some Leather Polish might prove a stronger smell.

pj123 16:28 03 Dec 07

My partner also says:

Bicarbonate of Soda.

Acetic Acid (Vinegar) may also be good!

Blackhat 17:21 03 Dec 07

I thought I had made it up but my spell checker gives it as OK.

Thanks for the tips guys, things arn't going too well though, Its been out on the line overnight, I found it in my flower bed this morning, re-hung with extra pegs, just got home to find it still on the line with a nice big bird poo down the back.

Doesn't smell so bad though.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Framestore’s haunting post-WWII title sequence for new BBC series SS-GB

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…