murder address details published

finerty 13:04 16 Apr 12

Det Insp Lee Whitehead, from the Kent and Essex Serious Crime Directorate, said: "We are today beginning the search at 48 Rankine Road and I do not know at this time how long the search will take. The murder took place in Tunbridge Wells. Should the police insp give actual details of the address. Surely most reporters may flock to the scene, and those with some knowledge could easily obtain the postcode bbc source

interzone55 13:35 16 Apr 12

I doubt the press wait for announcements on the BBC, they'll have been tipped off long before the story reaches TV

Al94 13:41 16 Apr 12
  spuds 16:16 16 Apr 12

One of the worse things that can and does occasionally occur, is the possible accidental release of someone's details, who are under witness protection or similar.

The case and the address in question would be well known within a short time, both to the media and anyone else who was interested. So if the police withheld this information, it would mean very little.

spuds 16:19 16 Apr 12

My second paragraph, referred to 48 Rankine Road, and not anything to do with the first paragraph.

lotvic 21:20 16 Apr 12

According to the bbc link whatever, if anything, happened was in the late 1950's, there may or may not be a body buried in the garden and it has no connection with the family that now live there.

Wuggy 00:21 17 Apr 12

I have to agree with finerty. The police seem to release far too much information to the press including advance information on when and where raids etc. are to take place. It's hardly conducive to a fair system of justice when photographs and video clips of alleged suspects appear in newspapers and television long before the suspect appears at court, if they appear at all. I have always felt uncomfortable with the English judicial system where suspects can be 'arrested' on suspicion, and very little suspicion at that, and their details released to the press only for those same suspects to be released by the police with no charges a short time later. At least here in Scotland a suspect can not be arrested unless sufficient evidence exists at that time to put them before a court the next lawful day. In other words there needs to be a sufficiency of evidence before an arrest takes place whereas in England all that seems to be required is some modicum of suspicion, however tenuous that may be. As a retired Scottish cop I may be a trifle biased but we really should not be depriving people of their freedom unless there is ample reason to do so.

Chegs ®™ 01:14 17 Apr 12

In England,the Police will smash a door in of a persons home & then hack the locks off their external buildings acting on information recieved when the resident was at work & hasn't even accrued a speeding ticket in his 50yrs.Then refuse to pay for the repairs for the exact same reason,they were acting on information recieved! In this case,perhaps the Police are hoping to jog someones memory,& I feel that releasing the address could be justified.There are occasions where certain information should not be released,such as those accused of rape as this often leads to that persons life being made hell even if they are subsequently cleared of all charges.

Wuggy 15:18 17 Apr 12

Well, it appears that this search has been carried out and nothing of note found. Perhaps it would have been more sensible to quietly carry out the search and if anything was subsequently found then releasing details if they hoped to jog someone's memory. Looks a bit like the cart before the horse.

Wuggy 19:31 17 Apr 12

You carry out a search quietly by going to the location, screening off the garden and NOT telling the press, TV etc. about it and asking any press who turn up to wait until you release details. It happens every day. Especially in this particular instance where the 'information' was based on the recollections of an elderly woman who has had 60 odd years to think about it before coming forward. That might be as good a reason as any for keeping the enquiry as low key as possible.

Forum Editor 19:56 17 Apr 12

It seems to me that in view of the circumstances, mentioning the address was exactly the right thing to do.

The press would know what was going on, and making it clear that the existing occupants of the house are not in any way involved in the police inquiry ensures that there will be no media speculation about them.

It's bad enough that they have to move out of their home, without having to go through the torment of reading speculative stories about themselves in the newspapers.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…