MS systems 95 98 98se ME XP

'oppy 18:16 15 Dec 04

The operating systems of MSoft.
Which has been the worst or best, the best for me it seemed to be, the ME version, although 98 wasnt bad and was even better with 98se, XP has got so bad with bugs, and extra updates and service packs being sent out, and the ongoing with problems of existing hardware not working with XP, especially if one had updated to the service packs on offer...
'oppy

Jackcoms 18:36 15 Dec 04

"XP has got so bad with bugs, and extra updates and service packs being sent out"

So, presumably, 95, 98, ME et all didn't have bugs or require updates and Service Packs?

GANDALF <|:-)> 18:46 15 Dec 04

Until I can write a new operating system I will not complain about any.

G

Mr Mistoffelees 19:17 15 Dec 04

Windows XP is undoubtedly the best yet. It is the most versatile and capable version of Windows to date and has a level of stability that users of Windows ME can only dream about.

bremner 19:34 15 Dec 04

IMHO XP is without doubt the best O/S Microsoft have ever produced and ME without doubt the worst.

georgemac 19:48 15 Dec 04

XP by far the best and most stable ever produced.

ME the worst - released too soon - the forerunner of XP.

MidgetMan 20:18 15 Dec 04

Being an old and long in the tooth die hard I have resisted the change to xp, prefering instead ME, however I have bought a pc for my oldest for xmas and have just been "getting it ready". automated lan connection (2 minutes) no inputing of IP address etc, auto update, firwall seems to be a good idea (don't know if any good yet), slick interface, (but still prefer the classic),
dvd/cd burner built in, loads of features already in place that on my system I have had to install.

Hmmmm time for a change??

CurlyWhirly 22:26 15 Dec 04

Windows XP is undoubtedly the best yet. It is the most versatile and capable version of Windows to date and has a level of stability that users of Windows ME can only dream about.

I agree! When I first bought a PC around 2 years ago I had the OEM version of ME and after around 6 months I got so fed up of it that I formatted the drive and bought the retail version of XP and I have *never* looked back!

Under ME I had the mouse icon regularly 'freezing' and then the soft reset button *had* to be pressed meaning that the scandisk routine ran on boot-up. Boring! Thanks but NO thanks.
Give me XP *every* time!

Going back to 'oppy's comments that "XP has got so bad with bugs, and extra updates and service packs being sent out", well all I can say is that it is only Microsoft's attempt to patch the operating system to stop hackers, worms, etc infecting our PC's.
If these losers didn't 'hack' in the first place then security patches wouldn't be needed.

Charence 23:05 15 Dec 04

I've used Windows 3.1, 98SE, 2000 and XP and I think that the best would have to be XP. Why? Because I have not come across the "This program has performed an illegal action..." again. It still crashes occasionally but not as often as previous OSs, and you don't have to reboot the PC.

XP also looks much better than the other ones, for example icon backgrounds match whatever is behind them, not a preset colour.

It does take up a lot more storage space though (without any programs), I think its around 4GB and slow even on a 1GHz PC.

Charence

Starfox 05:21 23 Dec 04

XP without a doubt.

Started with 3.1,then 95,then ME so never used 98.To be honest I never had any problems with ME unlike many users.

Worst ever used - Syntax on the old Commodore machines,now that was frustrating.

Dorsai 05:39 23 Dec 04

XP by a long shot!

I liked ME, but got fed up with it's inability to use more than 512Mb ram. XP is far better.

The main reason why MSoft Keep having to fix it? The hackers keep trying to break it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Framestore’s haunting post-WWII title sequence for new BBC series SS-GB

How to install MacOS Sierra on an older Mac: Get Sierra running on Macs & MacBooks from before 2009