Mrs, Miss or Ms?

dagnammit 11:41 20 Mar 09

click here

A snippet from the aritcle:

"It would be far better if women understood that being a Mrs or Miss is trivialising their independent status."

A title which indicated a woman's relationship to a man was simply "archaic", she said, "a hangover from the past".

Her own straw poll of the office on the issue found: "Women with children do get it and don't much want to be seen as married and over-the-hill or a spinster.

Erm, my wife likes the fact she's a Mrs and uses my surname. Guess some ladies would like to hide the fact they have a husband though... Hmmm, wonder why? ;)

Noels 11:52 20 Mar 09

I always thought a Ms was a woman who didn't know whether she was a near Miss or a near Mrs!
Regards
Noels

interzone55 12:09 20 Mar 09

To look at the flip side - a man's status doesn't change once he's married - he's Mr before & after, so why should a woman be subject to a status change?

ronalddonald 12:26 20 Mar 09

By law if they r married then theyshould be mrs, if divorced ms, and if single miss so there now dont get missed.

Covergirl 12:43 20 Mar 09

. . . that "Ms" was used by the feminist types who wanted a title equal to "Mr" which didn't give a clue as to their marital status.

Then again, maybe they were just such uninteresting people that they had to have something to make them appear more exciting.

A bit like the facial piercings some of todays young people have. "Oh, I'm really boring but we could always talk about the holes in my face . . . "

Chegs ®™ 16:14 20 Mar 09

My sister is a school teacher,and having started her career when single continued using her maiden name at school after marriage to reduce confusion amongst her pupils(or so she says)

sunnystaines 17:27 20 Mar 09

Ms is for ladies that wear flat shoes.

caccy 17:48 20 Mar 09

"Ms" is the abreviation for "manuscript". i.e Could be very old and dusty.

Forum Editor 17:51 20 Mar 09

They do, and I can't remember when I last called a woman 'Mrs' or 'Ms'

I work with quite a few women, and call them Jane Smith, or whatever their name is. In the same way people refer to me as Peter Thomas - nobody ever addresses me as Mr. Thomas, even on the rare occasions they send me letters.

That's all a thing of the past, isn't it?

Forum Editor 17:56 20 Mar 09

then they should be mrs"

Where did you get that idea from?

A married woman doesn't have to be referred to as 'Mrs' unless she wants it that way - there's no law that says otherwise. A woman may refer to herself as Mrs., Ms, or Miss - it's up to her to decide. Likewise, married women are under no legal obligation to use their husband's surname.

LinH 19:11 20 Mar 09

FE

What you say is quite right when meeting people face to face, but there can be a problem when writing to a female contact.

Generally the name on the envelope is prefixed (if male) with Mr, but with a female you have three choices, Mrs Ms and Miss.

Getting it wrong can cause offence, but if you have not met the person before all you can do is take a chance and guess. Mostly there is no problem but sometimes it can be awkward.

LinH

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Best Design, Illustration, Animation and VFX Awards of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced