Mr & Mrs Mallard Duck

Condom 11:03 08 Mar 12

My garden pond seems to have two new residents but I am unsure if this is a good or bad thing. In the coming weeks we usually get invaded by hundreds of frogs doing what frogs do in the spring and they normally leave the fish alone.

Ducks is something new in the equation and I wonder if anyone has experience of having these visitors to stay and if they are likely to cause any problems.

Aitchbee 11:49 08 Mar 12

Condom, this may be of interest...

Alan Coren of Cricklewood wrote this:-

It is somewhat unsettling not only to find an enormous goose on your darkling lawn, but to find it honking; because at 4am the only thing you can remember about honking geese is that they alerted Rome to invading Gauls, and though you do not, even half-awake, immediately conclude that a raiding party of vengeful French cattlemen is about to sack Cricklewood and make off with its women, you nonetheless cannot help wondering whether some more conventional scallywag might not have breached your defences and even now be going through your spoons.

Taken from "The Alan Coren Omnibus"

Woolwell 13:19 08 Mar 12

Not had experience of ducks coming to stay but I have heard that they may wreck the rest of the garden but you will not have any slugs to worry about.

interzone55 13:28 08 Mar 12

I live beside a small lake that's home to many mallards, coots, tufted ducks and swans. It's also home to a couple of dozen ghost carp and some other fish.

The ducks and swans leave the fish alone, but visiting seagulls and a semi-resident heron will take smaller fish.

What I find disconcerting is that when the ducks wake with first light they like to discuss their dreams with their neighbours, and it sounds very much like they're enjoying a joke at your expense...

sunnystaines 14:06 08 Mar 12

get them to nest and your have some eggs

wiz-king 15:24 08 Mar 12

Feed them up and you will have C**s dinner on the table in no time.

morddwyd 15:41 08 Mar 12

Mallard are mostly vegetarian.

lotvic 15:53 08 Mar 12

They will probably end up knocking on your door to be fed and pester you when you are al fresco dining. You won't be able to leave food on a plate unattended and their 'deposits' can be messy.

Aitchbee 16:33 08 Mar 12

Six ' duck eggs ' in front of a racehorse's name means it has not been placed, in it's last six races.

For example...

0 0 0 0 0 0 ........Pantomime Horse......100/1

lotvic 16:57 08 Mar 12

AitchBEE, I have given up wondering what planet you are from, even tho' you give an impression of one you cannot be an Earthling - using Sherlock's principle I have decided you must originate from Lunar

(The moon isn't a planet. But acts like a planet today) lol

Forum Editor 18:29 08 Mar 12

Mallards have visited my pond each spring for the past three years, but nothing seems to have come of it - they fly in, stay for a few days, and fly out again.

My son had a pair on his pond last year, and a nest was built. The Drake left home shortly afterwards, and the duck laid two eggs shortly after he shipped out. She sat on them for some time, but one morning they were found floating in the water, and that was that - no sign of the duck. My son thought that foxes were involved.

Your ducks will cause no harm if they stay, and if you're lucky they may produce ducklings. How lovely that would be, but foxes are everywhere, and if the ducks nest near the pond margin.......

Good luck, keep us posted.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sony Xperia XZ Premium review: Hands-on with the new 4K HDR phone with Motion Eye camera and Snapdr5…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best laptop for design and art 2017: we test Apple, Dell, HP, Lenovo and Microsoft's best models…

CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: Get the most from…