MPs Expenses - Again

HondaMan 12:00 17 Jun 09

Having read this click here, I wonder, would it not be better to buy a hotel big enough for all of them? All meals would of course be provided on a full-board basis, although they would only really need breakfast and dinner.

Any views?

Clapton is God 12:26 17 Jun 09

"Any views?"

Yes.

This subject has been done to death in the Press and in these Forums. Yawn.

Quickbeam 13:11 17 Jun 09

Hotel... no, the barracks mentioned in the link will do nicely enough. Taking turns at scrubbing floors and preparing meals etc, will be character building for them to see what real life is all about.

Bingalau 13:39 17 Jun 09

Painting the outside of the coal bunker thingies black and the inside white. That was one of the things I remember from my training days. Enough to drive anyone crazy, never mind build their characters. We also had to dust (de-dust?) the coal!

I'd pay my own expenses to get to watch Hazel Blears scrubbing the barrack room floors.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:03 17 Jun 09

"Shoot the lot and start again."

Is it likely to be any better with a new lot?

Maybe its time for a complete new system?

Any suggestions for a new way to run the country?

Stuartli 17:14 17 Jun 09

Well it's certainly not as a republic, although the present lot have done their best to try and do so (and cling on to power to the bitter end)..:-)

Stuartli 17:23 17 Jun 09

>>..would it not be better to buy a hotel big enough for all of them? >>

The Daily Mail printed a big photograph of a new £381m apartments development in London near the House of Commons a few weeks ago, suggesting exactly that...:-)

The maths worked out it would be much cheaper than paying second homes allowances.

peter99co 22:02 17 Jun 09

click here

Another one down.

Stuartli 23:25 17 Jun 09

Saving it for the kitty?

natdoor 08:13 18 Jun 09

Kitty Ussher's actions were quite legal and are replicated by thousands to avoid paying tax without reproach. She has resigned in order to stem the totally unwarranted attacks upon the government which would otherwise have occurred. Compare her tax avoidance with that of those who take their money offshore or relocate to Switzerland or Monaco.

Perhaps it would be a good idea to eliminate "flipping" by, for example, making the most valuable property owned the primary residence.

Stuartli 11:03 18 Jun 09

If you believe that changing your main residence for a short period to avoid paying tax is OK, then there's little hope for any of us.

Furthermore, it's pretty easy it would appear to me to ascertain exactly what is someone's main residence and which is their second home.

I have no qualms with anyone rightly avoiding paying more tax than necessary, but it is a different matter when it is done to purposely avoid paying a due tax return or to gain a financial advantage.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…