MPA takes BT to court

PC Advisor 15:15 29 Jun 11

The Motion Picture Association (MPA) is taking BT to court in a bid to force the ISP to block access to an illegal downloads site. Is that right?

proudfoot 16:14 29 Jun 11

I agree with the above comments, this is going to lead to even more censorship. Most right minded people agree rude, offensive or bullying should be removed from sites like this, but genuine opinions on a matter should be open to discussion as lond as it is not libelous. The MPA are trying to take the easy route. If they win their case any one expressing their opinions on forums like this one will find themselves in hot water.

interzone55 17:21 29 Jun 11

What the MPA don't seem to realise that this site does not host any copyrighted material, it merely points to it. As such it's very easy for them to take their tracker database and move to another domain, in another country, if their current domain is blocked by ISPs.

Rather than using the courts to protect their out of date business model the Motion Picture Association should instead look at other ways to protect their profits.

a) try paying their stars less - no-one is worth $20m dollars for a few weeks work

b) make films people are willing to pay to watch. 3D worked for a couple of weeks, but customers soon tired of paying extra for the film, and extra for the glasses. Sequels of sequels simply prove the law of diminishing returns

c) charge less for their product, drop the prices a bit and more people will go. It's almost £30 for 2 adults & 2 kids tickets, plus popcorn, drinks & sweets and you're lucky to get away with a bill of less than £50 for a night out

d) bring the DVD out sooner, and at less than £15, then more people will buy them

The music industry took a long time to work out that trying to sue every downloader was a war they couldn't win, it's now time for the film & book industry to learn the same lesson...

OTT_B 17:37 29 Jun 11

Got to agree with fourm member on this, and some of what alan14 has said (particularly points c & d.....not so sure about a & b!)

The problem is that it's not just the MPA trying to stop film piracy - you've also got software and music piracy going on, and it tends to be the same torrent tracking sites or news sites that supply either routes to get the stuff, or directly distribute.

But the answer to this is for the MPA (for example) to get the servers shutdown, not to stop people accessing the sites.

Forum Editor 18:53 29 Jun 11

I can add nothing to fourm member's excellent opinion on this issue.

morddwyd 20:45 29 Jun 11

Is this not akin to taking action against Hertz because one of their cars was used for a drugs deal?

proudfoot 12:16 30 Jun 11

What a perfect answer morddwyd

Quickbeam 12:21 30 Jun 11

I can add nothing to alan14's excellent cynicism on this issue;)

Condom 00:00 01 Jul 11

When these companies stop forever trying to rip their customers off then perhaps I might have a little more sympathy for them , but not much.

I bought a Katie Melua CD of her concert in the O2 Arena but it was not until after I opened it that I discovered that the record company had written inside that 3 tracks were missing because of space limitations. People who bought the downloaded version or the vinyl version got the full concert but the CD purchasers only got part of it. The shop didn't want to know of course as the CD was opened but I know I was not the only one complaining so the shop also had much to answer for. Did the record company allow free downloads of the pmissing tracks. No they did not despite thousands of compalaints so if you wanted the full concert you had to pay for each of the three missing tracks. You also cannot tell me that Katie Melua was not aware of the controversy.

As John Wayne used to say "The hell I will" and I looked for torrents and became an illegal downloader.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Hands-on: Samsung Galaxy S8 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Samsung's beautifully designed Galaxy S8 makes for better VR experiences too

47 iPhone camera tips to help you take better photos