MP Jailed over Expenses (about time)

Uboat 16:25 07 Jan 11

Finally justice is served!

click here

(BTW "Marko797" Before you comment on mine & other members threads please don’t start with your ridiculous personal digs at forum members! If you don’t like what we all chat about on PCA look elsewhere! Simple!)

jakimo 16:53 07 Jan 11

Normally I would have said 18 months was too short,but as he also has to pay high defense & court cost,and the loss of his job then the sentence is about right

PalaeoBill 16:53 07 Jan 11

Have they made him pay the money back as well?

Diemmess 16:57 07 Jan 11

Half thought I heard on Radio 4 lunchtime news, that he has already repaid the monies.

Woolwell 17:00 07 Jan 11

He had already paid back more than the amount he fraudulently claimed click here

GANDALF <|:-)> 17:20 07 Jan 11

'He had already paid back more than the amount he fraudulently claimed'...fantastic, so if I rob a bank of £1 million, get caught and then repay £1.1 million...then that's OK. Anyone see the slight flaw here?

G

jakimo 17:40 07 Jan 11

The additional payment of £887 Chaytor has paid would be for lost interest on the fraud amount,which the courts are entitled to reclaim

morddwyd 17:43 07 Jan 11

He deserves all he gets, but I wonder if the sentence would have been quite so long, bearing in mind the guilty plea, if he had not been such a high profile public figure, say an anonymous fat cat banker for instance.

spuds 17:51 07 Jan 11

Why is it, that we constantly hear statements like "Deep and genuine remorse" or " I offer my sincere apologies", when someone is caught doing wrong?.

Why don't they just say "Look I know I have done it, I am guilty, lets get on with the process" job done?.

Saves a lot of time, expense and public inconvenience for the honourable gentlemen/women. And lets not forget banking into that?.

GANDALF <|:-)> 18:08 07 Jan 11

'but I wonder if the sentence would have been quite so long'...oh do behave, he lied, committed fraud, committed forgery, falsified accounts, stole money and abused a position of trust. IMHO he got off lightly and I'm sure that the rest of the inmates will warm to him greatly whilst he mulls over his transgressions.

G

Forum Editor 18:10 07 Jan 11

"Why is it, that we constantly hear statements like "Deep and genuine remorse" or " I offer my sincere apologies", when someone is caught doing wrong?."

In the context of a criminal prosecution an expression of remorse will often lead to a reduction in the severity of the sentence. There's also the possibility that the person concerned does feel genuine remorse after committing a crime, although I obviously have no idea whether or not that applies in this case.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now